Coping with losing a pig and what's next

PiggieSushi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all, my gp just passed a few days ago, leaving her cagemate alone. I need some advices how to help her during this moment:

1. Is it better to deep clean the cage to remove the old pig's scent? Or is it ok to leave it just as is?

2. I'm trying to spend more time with her, but how can I help her not to feel alone while I'm away?

3. Would playing gp sound in the background help her?

4. How long can we wait before getting her a new mate? I'm still looking for a new friend for her, but it will take time as there's no rescue /shelter available where I'm at.

5. Any other things that I should know?

Thank you all.

I’m sorry for your loss

This guide will help you
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

You can clean the cage out after a few days and go to your normal cleaning routine.

The reality is you can’t help her not feel alone. All you can do is keep her occupied with plenty of enrichment.

How long you can wait depends on how she is coping. If she is eating and drinking normally and going about her piggy business, while she will still be grieving, she is ok. They tend to come out of deep grieving after a few days. In this scenario she can wait a month or so for a new friend.
In a piggy who is acutely pining, not eating etc then the need for a new friend becomes more urgent and they may only cope for a few days being alone. This is rare luckiky

Back