Coping after a piggie loss

AksGuineas

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

2 days ago, i lost my second guinea pig Angel.

These were my first piggies, and to see them go has been a hard experience for me to cope with.
As much as i would like to, i simply dont have the time or emotional capacity to embark with a new set of piggies. After 5 years of piggie ownership, i just feel a sense of emptiness after they passed, and its making it really hard for me to cope.
I'm hoping that there are people who have gone through similar experiences, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so sorry for your losses.Especially when it's your first piggies.They will always have a special place in your heart.
Blue cross has a pet bereavement telephone service ,giving counselling.
There is a very good guide to guinea pig loss,I hope another member can link the guides.

Hello Everyone,

2 days ago, i lost my second guinea pig Angel.

These were my first piggies, and to see them go has been a hard experience for me to cope with.
As much as i would like to, i simply dont have the time or emotional capacity to embark with a new set of piggies. After 5 years of piggie ownership, i just feel a sense of emptiness after they passed, and its making it really hard for me to cope.
I'm hoping that there are people who have gone through similar experiences, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry for your losses.

What you are feeling right now is perfectly normal; not being able to feel/feeling empty at first is like having an insulating plaster wrapped around your soul because the pain is currently too great and overwhelming for you - it will desolve on its own when you are ready for the next step. It is a protective mechanism against trauma which is stronger in some than in others.
Please be kind to yourself and give yourself time to grieve. If you struggle to move on, to sleep or to function in daily life, please seek support from the free pet bereavement services of the Blue Cross (UK animal charity).

Please take the time to look at these links here; you will find them very helpful in making sense of what you are experiencing:
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Pet bereavement and pet loss (link to Blue Cross services)

Now is not the time to think about new pets; that time comes when your heart and your mind is free for a new jurney again. It is also normal that pervious deaths come up again during the grieving process, so don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure.
Grieving is nothing like just being sad and crying and then moving on; it is a lot more complex and often unexpected than that.

On the other hand, going through the experience with beloved pets is often our only 'practice run' in a society where death is generally firmly put behind closed doors and the close community support network has disappeared. It will hopefully help you deal with losses later in your life better and make you a more insightful and emotionally deeper person. Give your grieving process time to run its course. Help is out there so you don't have to do it all on your own and blindly. ;)

You have to grieve as much as you love; they are the two sides of the same coin. But it is in the dark that our roots grow deeper and give us more strength to grow higher when the light returns.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Sending you a massive hug. 🤗

I am so sorry for your losses. Guinea pigs leave a big hole in our hearts when they leave us. Sending you my very best wishes.

I'm so sorry for your losses.Especially when it's your first piggies.They will always have a special place in your heart.
Blue cross has a pet bereavement telephone service ,giving counselling.
There is a very good guide to guinea pig loss,I hope another member can link the guides.
Hi Eileen,

Thank you. Like you said, it's been hard especially since they were my first ones. I'll take a look at the Blue Cross services 👍

Hi

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry for your losses.

What you are feeling right now is perfectly normal; not being able to feel/feeling empty at first is like having a plaster wrapped around the soul because the pain is currently too great and overwhelming to you - it will desolve on its own when you are ready for the next step.
Please be kind to yourself and give yourself time to grieve. If you struggle to move on, to sleep or to function in daily life, please seek support from the free pet bereavement services of the Blue Cross (UK animal charity).

Please take the time to look at these links here; you will find them very helpful in making sense of what you are experiencing:
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Pet bereavement and pet loss (link to Blue Cross services)

Now is not the time to think about new pets; that time comes when your heart and your mind is free for a new jurney again. It is also normal that pervious deaths come up again during the grieving process, so don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure.
Grieving is nothing like just being sad and crying and then moving on; it is a lot more complex and often unexpected than that.

On the other hand, going through the experience with beloved pets is often our only 'practice run' in a society where death is generally firmly put behind closed doors and the close community support network has disappeared. It will hopefully help you deal with losses later in your life better and make you a more insightful and emotionally deeper person. Give your grieving process time to run its course. Help is out there so you don't have to do it all on your own and blindly. ;)

You have to grieve as much as you love; they are the two sides of the same coin. But it is in the dark that our roots grow deeper and give us more strength to grow higher when the light returns.
Hi Wiebke,

Thank you so much, it really means a lot that you've taken the time to respond, it's really helped. It's helped me make sense of everything going on, thanks so much. I'll take a look at forums.

Like you said, I'll wait a bit before making a decision on any new pets.

It hasn't been easy through the grieving process, but your response has really helped me.

Again, many thanks 🙏

Hi Wiebke,

Thank you so much, it really means a lot that you've taken the time to respond, it's really helped. It's helped me make sense of everything going on, thanks so much. I'll take a look at forums.

Like you said, I'll wait a bit before making a decision on any new pets.

It hasn't been easy through the grieving process, but your response has really helped me.

Again, many thanks 🙏

Sorry for not answering sooner but I only lost one of my own last week and am still catching up.

When it is your first encounter with death and pet loss it can feel totally overwhelming. We all react differently. I am like you; it usually takes a day or two to sink in. It's not the worst thing to happen because you can use that time of grace to organise and set things up for when your grief hits home fully. Just be kind with yourself and give yourself that time and space to not be OK. Grief is real and it is not species specific; it depends on your love and the nature of your bond. It is also something that unfortunately comes with pet keeping.

On the bottom line, the daily enrichment from my piggies by far outweighs the pain of losing them but that is something that we all have to decide for ourselves every single time. Just wait until the time is right for you. There is no rush. Whatever you decide has to feel right for yourself.

Sorry for not answering sooner but I only lost one of my own last week and am still catching up.

When it is your first encounter with death and pet loss it can feel totally overwhelming. We all react differently. I am like you; it usually takes a day or two to sink in. It's not the worst thing to happen because you can use that time of grace to organise and set things up for when your grief hits home fully. Just be kind with yourself and give yourself that time and space to not be OK. Grief is real and it is not species specific; it depends on your love and the nature of your bond. It is also something that unfortunately comes with pet keeping.

On the bottom line, the daily enrichment from my piggies by far outweighs the pain of losing them but that is something that we all have to decide for ourselves every single time. Just wait until the time is right for you. There is no rush. Whatever you decide has to feel right for yourself.
So sorry for your loss, sending big hugs. I hope it helps that we have someone we can relate to, its nice to talk to someone who goes through this in a similar way. I'll give myself some time and space, before making a decision on future pets, like youve suggested.

Its very helpful to talk to someone who can relate 🙏

So sorry for your loss, sending big hugs. I hope it helps that we have someone we can relate to, its nice to talk to someone who goes through this in a similar way. I'll give myself some time and space, before making a decision on future pets, like youve suggested.

Its very helpful to talk to someone who can relate 🙏

It is a normal trauma response; but some people have it more strongly than others. Nothing to feel bad about.

I'm so sorry for your losses. It's so hard. My family has lost two hamsters since late December, it's hard and can feel really overwhelming. Be kind to yourself, let yourself grieve, and let your feelings settle before you make decisions on further pets. You may find your feelings change over time, and wherever you end up in that regard is okay. Gentle ((HUGS)) and definitely if there is a pet bereavement service or a sympathetic ear, either here or in person, use it. I think a lot of the time I feel like people don't understand why I'm upset because a hamster or guinea pig died. But I know everyone on this forum understands and we've all been there at one time or another. Hang in there, I know it's hard but in time you'll be able to think more about their lives and less about their loss.

I'm so sorry for your losses. It's so hard. My family has lost two hamsters since late December, it's hard and can feel really overwhelming. Be kind to yourself, let yourself grieve, and let your feelings settle before you make decisions on further pets. You may find your feelings change over time, and wherever you end up in that regard is okay. Gentle ((HUGS)) and definitely if there is a pet bereavement service or a sympathetic ear, either here or in person, use it. I think a lot of the time I feel like people don't understand why I'm upset because a hamster or guinea pig died. But I know everyone on this forum understands and we've all been there at one time or another. Hang in there, I know it's hard but in time you'll be able to think more about their lives
and less about their loss.

Hi Freela,
So sorry for the loss of your hamsters. Yes, I've looked into bereavement services online, and it has been helpful to read through the guides on there. I've also really appreciated the advice from you, and others on this forum. Talking to pet owners who can relate has helped me through this. And yes, like you've said I'll wait before making a decision on getting any new pets.

Again, thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it 🙏

Back