Contents Of A First Aid Kit For Piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly's Piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I want to buy a good bunch of supplies so I always have the right things in, incase of an emergency. Does anyone else here keep a first aid kit, if so, what do you keep in it? What are the necessities a kit should contain? The bigger the list you can come up with, the better...

Any details and brand names etc for recommendation would be great also, thanks!

Ok , couple of things
Cotton wool pads (non fluff ones) for cleaning wounds etc
Hibiscrub
Baby oil, cleaning boar bits / impact ion
1ml syringes
Sachets of recovery food
Disposable gloves
Cyptic pencil for cut nails

Metacam, metacam, metacam!Essential piggy first aid medication! But obviously consult a vet before giving..
Critical care or similar
Fibreplex
Avipro
Optrex for bathing eyes.
Spot on ivermectin.
Baby wipes for cleaning up bottoms, feet etc
Nizoral shampoo or similar for fungal problems.
Blunt ended scissors for trimming off matted fur
Snugglesafe or electric heat pad
Ice pods for heat stroke
Vet bed and small hospital cage
Remember things go out of date so check regularly

please can I ask what Hibiscrub is for and what a Cyptic pencil is ?

please can I ask what Hibiscrub is for and what a Cyptic pencil is ?
Hibiscrub is an antimicrobial skin cleanser - I am reading off the bottle:D
Styptic pencil was spelt wrong but it can be found at Boots and helps stop bleeding in minor cuts or on nails if u accidentally cut too much

I want to buy a good bunch of supplies so I always have the right things in, incase of an emergency. Does anyone else here keep a first aid kit, if so, what do you keep in it? What are the necessities a kit should contain? The bigger the list you can come up with, the better...

Any details and brand names etc for recommendation would be great also, thanks!

First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs

Hibiscrub is a disinfectant for wounds, but sterile saline solution or homemade saline will also do. Any deep bite in a guinea pig should be checked by a vet. (See recommendations in the link)
A styptic pen is there to stem the flow of blood for instant if you accidentally cut into the quick of a nail or or a piggy pulls a nail. Any bleeding that doesn't stop within ca. 5-10 minutes should be seen by a vet.

Please be aware that we do not support home treatment on spec, especially not with human meds; any recommendations can only be what you can do until you can see a vet at the earliest opportunity.

I keep a stock of 10 ml syringes in too - great for collecting urine samples and I take the sample to the vet in the syringe so don't need a medicine pot.

The vet usually gives me enough to cover, but Amazon always has some available.

The other type of syringe I always in my Piggy first aid fit is this one:

It's a life saver for flushing abscesses.

I buy syringes from Amazon . The vet gives me a few - but I prefert to have some in stock too .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back