• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Constipated & won't eat

• Thread starter Thread starter cazzabazz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cazzabazz

Last night I noticed my guineapig wasn't his usual self - he was sitting hunched in the corner & wouldn't even squeak when I rustled a bag which is highly unusual for him. Then I noticed he was having trouble having a poo - he squeals when he tries to go so he's obviously in pain but I've tried getting him to eat fruit & cucumber (his favourite) but he won't touch anything & he's not drinking either. I've read stuff on the internet which just suggests feeding constipated guineapigs more fruit & veg, but this won't work if he won't touch anything.

I can't bear to see him so uncomfortable - is there anything I can do, or is it just a case for the vet?

Hello and welcome :)
It does sound like he's got a tummy ache poor little one :( I would seek advice from your vets, are they close can you see them straight away? Keep him warm try to give him fluids thru a syringe and most of all lots of love and reassurance. Have you also checked his bottom he maybe impacted and needs to have his bottom cleaned out, now there's somebody who's done this lately ...... i think you use vaseline or similar and work it in so that it helps clear out the poos that are still in there.
I'm sure somebody who's had this problem will come on real soon and help, good luck, keep us posted. If necessary post pictures and also someone can always talk you thru the process as well.
Good luck to the little furbaby :-*

Hi and welcome.

Lots of good luck with your darling. It is unbearable seeing them distressed.

I would go to the vet. Where are you?

Thanks for your replies. I'm in South Manchester - I live quite close to a vet so I've just rung up & made him an appointment for this afternoon. It's just a shame he can't take Senokot like humans! Hope he gets sorted asap - can't wait til he's back to his usual naughty self!

That's great, well done :)
Hope he is back to his normal self, they're such characters aren't they :-*
What's your little man's name?

He's called Toby & he's a little sweetheart (most of the time!) He has a little wooden log tunnel which he practically lives in (although not at the moment, poor mite) & when he's well he can bound up the stairs at lightning speed. He'll get lots of extra TLC when he's back from the vets, that's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back