Constantly Rumblestrutting

Krystina

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, we brought home 2 girls from a rescue last Saturday. We're new to guinea pigs. The girls are lovely, but the smallest (Oreo) has started rumblestrutting constantly and has now started mounting the other girl (Dancer). Dancer is then getting annoyed and lunging at Oreo and then the cycle starts again.
Initially Dancer seemed to be the dominant pig, chasing Oreo out of the hidey and lungung/chasing her away from food if she was already eating. She still does this occasionally and Oreo will do a little squeak and run away, but then will come with the butt shaking and rumbling. They do settle but are sleeping separately.
I know they will still be settling in, but I wanted to check if this is concerning, especially as theh are both sows?
I have messaged the rescue but I know they are busy so not likely to be checking messages constantly! I'm just a bit worried 😟
I have a video but can't figure out how to upload it.

To upload a video you would need to upload it to Utube then copy the link and paste it on here. The girls have experience a change of environment which can unsettling, a new cage etc. Rumbling is normal in both sexes, as is chasing, they are reviewing and setting out who will be boss and who will be the underpig all over again. This process can take a couple of weeks so just keep an eye on them. It’s quite rare for guinea pigs to actually sleep together, they prefer their own bed mainly. As long as both pigs are allowed to eat and sleep then things will settle down

:agr:

It takes around two weeks after any territory/environment change for them to reestablish their hierarchy.

Most piggies never sleep together.

Ensure you have multiple of everything in the cage - especially ensuring you have at least two hay piles and plenty of hides, ensuring the hides all have two exits in them.
Scatter feed veg and pellets around the cage so the dominant cannot food hog. Scattering also encourages foraging and mental stimulation

Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them and hope it settles down! It seems to have gotten worse rather than better which is why I'm concerned. The mounting only started over the last day and a half.

They do have two hides, two water bottles, two bowls and hay in various places, they are both eating so thats good.

I've been letting them "play out" in a a play pen (previously a pop up ball pit 😅), should I continue or could the moving between different areas be making it worse do you think?

Thanks so much by the way, I just want the best for them and don't want to do anything wrong!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them and hope it settles down! It seems to have gotten worse rather than better which is why I'm concerned. The mounting only started over the last day and a half.

They do have two hides, two water bottles, two bowls and hay in various places, they are both eating so thats good.

I've been letting them "play out" in a a play pen (previously a pop up ball pit 😅), should I continue or could the moving between different areas be making it worse do you think?

Thanks so much by the way, I just want the best for them and don't want to do anything wrong!

It’s within normal behaviour and timelines so I wouldn’t be concerned.
Do bear in mind also that sows come into season every 15-17 days so you will also see an increase in dominance at that time.

Each new environment will cause a spike in this kind of behaviour. You would do better to let them settle into their relationship and permanent cage before giving them any playtime outside of it.

Make sure you keep up with the weekly weight checks so you can be sure they are both definitely eating plenty of hay. Hay intake can’t be gauged by eye.

We dont recommend the use of food bowls - as I say, scatter feeding everything is best

Hi, we brought home 2 girls from a rescue last Saturday. We're new to guinea pigs. The girls are lovely, but the smallest (Oreo) has started rumblestrutting constantly and has now started mounting the other girl (Dancer). Dancer is then getting annoyed and lunging at Oreo and then the cycle starts again.
Initially Dancer seemed to be the dominant pig, chasing Oreo out of the hidey and lungung/chasing her away from food if she was already eating. She still does this occasionally and Oreo will do a little squeak and run away, but then will come with the butt shaking and rumbling. They do settle but are sleeping separately.
I know they will still be settling in, but I wanted to check if this is concerning, especially as theh are both sows?
I have messaged the rescue but I know they are busy so not likely to be checking messages constantly! I'm just a bit worried 😟
I have a video but can't figure out how to upload it.

Hi and welcome

Please double-check the gender (as we recommend every new owner) but the rumble-strutting between sows is just dominance when either the leader is not quite confident and feels she needs to show the other girl who the boss is or the under-sow is not happy with coming second. There is no aggression in it, though. It is a mild dominance behaviour.

Illustrated Sexing Guide (shows you where exactly to look and feel o you can learn how to sex correctly; we do provide a second opinion if wished)

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts) (includes a chapter on typical sow behaviours)

A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Back