Constant Rumblestrutting, Not Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rochester Piggy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So today, I got a new guinea pig, Paisley. My other piggy that I already had is Cali. There has been a ton of butt sniffing and rumblestrutting. Is this normal? Also, Paisley is refusing to eat. She ate a few pellets earlier, but hasn't eaten any hay or drank anything. The guy at the rescue said she may not drink for a few days, but I'm very concerned about her hay consumption. She is either sleeping or being chased by Cali. We are placing a divider in the cage when they are unsupervised. Any tips, advice, or answers to my questions?:help:

rumblestrutting is normal and mild dominance behaviour.I would leave piles of hay,new piggies take time to settle in and will often eat when you are not there or at night.

Ditto to eileen. Rumblestrutting and sniffing is normal behaviour. You need to stop using the divider though as you're resetting any bonding that has happened and they have to start again.

If you're afraid to leave them together you need to bond them when you have a spare few days. I always do it on a friday evening so I have the full weekend with them.

Not eating when you're around is normal, she's wary of you. My last boy ate nothing for about 2 weeks in front of me but his food disappeared overnight.

Ditto to eileen. Rumblestrutting and sniffing is normal behaviour. You need to stop using the divider though as you're resetting any bonding that has happened and they have to start again.

If you're afraid to leave them together you need to bond them when you have a spare few days. I always do it on a friday evening so I have the full weekend with them.

Not eating when you're around is normal, she's wary of you. My last boy ate nothing for about 2 weeks in front of me but his food disappeared overnight.
Thank you, they are having on and off rumblestrutting, thats it and she is eating in front of me and isnt even hiding much! She has eaten and drank a ton since I posted this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back