Constant rumble strutting

Winniethepiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, i have posted about this before but didnt get much of a response or advice.
My youngest pig Bee, shes a year old, coming up 2 years and the past week or so shes been rumble strutting a lot more than she ever has before. She only used to do it when she was in heat to my older piggie, Winnie. Which i know that is normal behaviour. However, its been near enough every day the last week or so Bee has been doing this towards winnie. They have lots of room in their cage so its not a space issue and she even does it to winnie when theyre out of the cage having floor time. There has been some changes to bee as shes had to be put on baytril for a suspected uti so I'm wondering if that can be making her more moody or hormonal? Theyve been living together over 2 years so this has never happened till recently when shes been put on baytril. I think shes in heat at the moment as shes rumbling while doing it whereas the last week shes only been doing the wiggling, not the rumbling. Any advice would be nice

She may be having a strong season and this is why she is being worse than normal.
If she is also unwell then it may be making her grumpy. Is she on painkillers at all?

Unless it is causing a real problem between them ie fighting then you need to leave them to get on with it.

If it becomes a continuous issue and she behaves like she is always in season, then it would be worth having her checked for ovarian cysts but for now and as yet a one off event, it may be something and nothing

She was on metacam but the vets told me to not give her anymore to see if its something to do with her kidneys if she still is in pain without the metacam which she isnt squeaking when she wees anymore or any blood so I'm not sure if its cleared up with the baytril. Shes always had strong seasons but this time its been a week or so with her doing it

Hi, i have posted about this before but didnt get much of a response or advice.
My youngest pig Bee, shes a year old, coming up 2 years and the past week or so shes been rumble strutting a lot more than she ever has before. She only used to do it when she was in heat to my older piggie, Winnie. Which i know that is normal behaviour. However, its been near enough every day the last week or so Bee has been doing this towards winnie. They have lots of room in their cage so its not a space issue and she even does it to winnie when theyre out of the cage having floor time. There has been some changes to bee as shes had to be put on baytril for a suspected uti so I'm wondering if that can be making her more moody or hormonal? Theyve been living together over 2 years so this has never happened till recently when shes been put on baytril. I think shes in heat at the moment as shes rumbling while doing it whereas the last week shes only been doing the wiggling, not the rumbling. Any advice would be nice

Hi

Your girl is now at the lower age of hormonal ovarian cysts (the most common age for them being active is ca. 2-4 years). They are typically small and growing when they cause the hormonal symptoms. 18 months is the usual lower limit given but they can occasionally happen earlier - or much later.

Behavioural symptoms are the most common (a bit like a nonstop season, sometimes causing a gradual weight loss), followed by crusty nipples; other symptoms like lateral hair loss are much more rare.

More information on the various types and treatment options are in this guide here: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

If the behaviour continues, it is worth having your girl vet checked.

Back