Constant chasing and mounting for weeks.

Lisanjake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all

I’m a bit at my wits end right now!
I got my new girl back in May, she is fairly young, maybe a year.
Erin (who is about 4) settled down with her at first and alls been pretty much fine.
These past 3 weeks or so she will not leave Ellie alone. I mean constant mounting chasing, she stops for hay and is straight back at her.
If I close Ellie out in the front room I just hear Erin pacing the case pushing things around (I am trying to work in the other room so I’ve ended up closing the doors just to get some peace) I don’t know what else to do with them!

They are going away on Sunday to boarding for 2 weeks, in a small Standard pet store cage 🙈 they get let out in the garden weather dependant but I am worried how they will get along being right under each other’s toes 😱

I think guinea pigs do this for one of two reasons. The first is to establish dominance. If this is the case, I don't think there is much you can do. Hopefully, they'll figure it out.
However, sometimes guinea pigs exhibit this behavior because of a misunderstanding. This can be corrected. Basically, you want to create a very safe space for both girls and you. You want to give them food and cuddle them. If you lie on the floor, you can wrap one arm around each guinea pig. If they understand that you are there and protecting them---then they can relax and look at each other.

Back