Considering Getting A Guinea Pig- Am I Doing Everything Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth H

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So here's my situation-
I am planning on getting guinea pigs and I just want to make sure I'm not making some sort of huge mistake that will cost me or my guinea pigs grief. I am planning on getting two female Abyssinian guinea pigs.
Things I am planning on making/buying
-A 44" x 30" C&C cage with 6" high coroplast
-A plastic hideaway home
-Hanging wooden chews
-Fleece bedding with an absorbent layer of cotton underneath it
-"Kaytee" timothy hay
-Guinea pig pellets (without vitamin C but I will be supplementing their diet with vitamin C rich foods such as romaine lettuce or apples)
-Glass water bottle
-Ceramic food dish
-Hay "troth"

Please tell me if I missed anything or if you have any other advice for new guinea pig owners!

Hi I'm new here too :DBut sounds like you have everything covered. They love tunnels and cardboard boxes too ....make sure they have more than one house incase they need to get away from each other and somewhere for them to play out side of their cage they love lots of different fruit and veggies you can look on google at the safe and un safe fruits and veggies they can have I give mine their hay and veggies throughout the day as they would naturally graze through out
the day in the wild :)) Good luck!

Hi,
I think the cage size sounds ok, if my maths is right it works out at just over 9sq ft and 8 is the minimum for 2 pigs . As with any animal, the more space you can give them the better.

I think most people (who feed pellets) will recomend those which are designed for guineapigs and have stabilised Vit C. Lettuce and apples are not particularly high in Vit C and too much apple can give them mouth sores. There's a great sticky in the Food section about which foods are high Vit C. Some people don't feed pellets at all, so it is possible to maintain Vit C without them.

Two dishes can be handy too, just in case you get a greedy so-and-so who hogs it (like one of mine!)

Cardboard boxes and tunnels have seen more chewing action from my pigs than anything I've bought. As well as the wooden legs to their big house and anything plastic!

Before I got my three, after a long break from pigs, I loomed around here for ages reading all the stickies and lots of threads - guineapig ownership has evolved a lot recently! It's a wealth of knowledge and everyone is really friendly

:wel: To the forum. Please could you add your location to your profile as with members all over the world it helps us to tailor recommendations and information to your region.

It's great that you are doing your homework. We have a whole series of useful guides for new owners in the section if you follow this link New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner With information about piggy behaviour, needs etc. we also have a wealth of information about daily care including housing, feeding and General "maintenance"and a whole forum dedicated to food alone.

We are a friendly pro rescue forum with members all over the world who will be happy to share their experience and advice with you. If you have any queries please shout out. And when you have your piggies please do share photos. We adore seeing pictures of people's piggies. :wel:

Most guinea pig pellets are fortified with vitamin C when you buy them, although it does degrade over time so fresh sources are also required. However, I wouldn't actually try to seek out a pellet that excludes it from the mix, as even over time some of it is still going to be bioavailable as they eat and it's easier to get too little than too much. The only other thing I would add is some spare blankets to use for holding them... a lot of nervous new pigs appreciate the ability to snuggle under something for safety when getting used to lap time, and I like the blanket to try to avoid ending up covered with fur at all times!

Hi!

Great that you are doing your research beforehand!

I would recommend one hidey for each piggy, so they can get away from each other whenever they want to.

You can find lots of tips for wannabe owners and new owners via these links here. We have got lots of information about all kinds of topics at the top of our various Care sections, but you are always welcome to ask any questions about your piggies you may have along the way - we will answer them all! ;)
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back