• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Conjunctivitis that doesnt seem to be going?

Kimicub

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all!
My oldest Guinea pig Harri has conjunctivitis (I'm a pharmacist and I put 2 and 2 together) took her to the vet who, didnt seem to care too much about it till I insisted that it looks like conjunctivitis and he gave me Isathal(fusidic acid drops twice a day). Been putting it in her eye since the 3rd of October. I was told to use the drops for 5-7 days.
I know I shouldn't treat her like a human but usually in humans you start to see improvements within the first 48hours and it doesnt seem to be budging. I have attached a pic of her tonight (3 and a half days of treatment). She is eating very well and drinking. Shes active and is still getting on with the others. She did have a chest infection a couple of months ago which has cleared up. I'm thinking to change the kitchen area of their cage to fleece bedding as that's the only place with woodshavings as I think this may be causing her problems.

So my questions are.....
- Should I be concerned that nothing seems to be happening?
- Is what the vet gave me the best thing for her eye?
- Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance20181007_211853.webp20181007_211902.webp20181007_211920.webp

My Dennis is currently being treated for conjunctivitis and he had a very cloudy and blood shot eye. On Monday I took him to the vet and then took him back on Thursday. I was given Isathal too 1 drop twice a day. I was told to keep up with the eye drops until Wednesday. His eye was starting to look better on Thursday although it is still a bit blood shot today. I can now see the difference between is iris and his pupil if I look closely enough. Keep on treating your piggy and if you are concerned take your piggy back to the vet.

My Dennis is currently being treated for conjunctivitis and he had a very cloudy and blood shot eye. On Monday I took him to the vet and then took him back on Thursday. I was given Isathal too 1 drop twice a day. I was told to keep up with the eye drops until Wednesday. His eye was starting to look better on Thursday although it is still a bit blood shot today. I can now see the difference between is iris and his pupil if I look closely enough. Keep on treating your piggy and if you are concerned take your piggy back to the vet.

Thank you. I'll keep it up

Hi all!
My oldest Guinea pig Harri has conjunctivitis (I'm a pharmacist and I put 2 and 2 together) took her to the vet who, didnt seem to care too much about it till I insisted that it looks like conjunctivitis and he gave me Isathal(fusidic acid drops twice a day). Been putting it in her eye since the 3rd of October. I was told to use the drops for 5-7 days.
I know I shouldn't treat her like a human but usually in humans you start to see improvements within the first 48hours and it doesnt seem to be budging. I have attached a pic of her tonight (3 and a half days of treatment). She is eating very well and drinking. Shes active and is still getting on with the others. She did have a chest infection a couple of months ago which has cleared up. I'm thinking to change the kitchen area of their cage to fleece bedding as that's the only place with woodshavings as I think this may be causing her problems.

So my questions are.....
- Should I be concerned that nothing seems to be happening?
- Is what the vet gave me the best thing for her eye?
- Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advanceView attachment 96708View attachment 96709View attachment 96710

Isathal is the rebranded fucithalmic eye drops and standard treatment for eye injuries and conjunctivitis.

If symptoms don't go down in a week, you might want to have her examined by an exotics vet re. potential dental issues that could start to impact on the eye.

I'd take her back for further review if the eye drops aren't working.

I agree. Please take her back if the eye drops aren’t working.

My Enoch suffered from bouts of severe conjunctivitis after he had an untreated torn conjunctiva (before I adopted him). My vet gave me an eye drop that began with C and is a human eye drop for conjunctivitis (sorry, I can’t remember the name but if you give me a hint, I’ll remember). I had to apply it up to 8 times a day but it always cleared the conjunctivitis within a week.

I agree. Please take her back if the eye drops aren’t working.

My Enoch suffered from bouts of severe conjunctivitis after he had an untreated torn conjunctiva (before I adopted him). My vet gave me an eye drop that began with C and is a human eye drop for conjunctivitis (sorry, I can’t remember the name but if you give me a hint, I’ll remember). I had to apply it up to 8 times a day but it always cleared the conjunctivitis within a week.
Was it Chloramphenicol?

Quick update. Harri's eye is much better! Thank you all for the advice. I'm changing the bedding to fleece to see if this helps and trying to find an exotic vet.....help! Lol

Back