Confy Piggie is eating shy Piggie’s veggies?

Guineananny

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So we have had our piggies since Saturday (2 cagemate sows 10 weeks and 9 weeks) the younger of the two is definitely more confident than the other and is eating well considering it’s all new to her. My worry is the shyer Piggie, I have seen her eat little bits of hay, a few pellets and bits of vegetables (she tends to be a bit braver later in the evening) I don’t actually know what she eats when we’re not in the room. When we put veggies in the cage Miss Confident will dart in and out of her hideout and is scoffing for England but Miss shy doesn’t come out so Miss Confident helps herself to hers too!
Two concerns 1. Miss Confident will eat too much 2. Miss Shy won’t get enough.
Do you think I should do something differently or is it just too soon and things will even out? Sorry if the answer is obvious, this is all new to me. Thanks.

Make sure hay is inside and by every hide and in multiple places around the cage. that way she doesn’t have to come out far to be able to get plenty to eat

I would try to put available food in multiple places so that bolder piggie can't be in all places at once... make sure that some food is extremely close to wherever the shyer pig is hiding so that she can reach it without leaving her comfort zone. You can stick it right it front of the door of the hidey, for instance. Maybe also put some hay/treats out fresh just prior to turning out the lights for the evening, because shy pig is probably more active at nighttime when she senses no one is watching her. In time this will balance out and not be a problem, though it's always a good idea to scatter food or have more than one food bowl if you have a piggie who likes to hog the food for themselves!

I would try to put available food in multiple places so that bolder piggie can't be in all places at once... make sure that some food is extremely close to wherever the shyer pig is hiding so that she can reach it without leaving her comfort zone. You can stick it right it front of the door of the hidey, for instance. Maybe also put some hay/treats out fresh just prior to turning out the lights for the evening, because shy pig is probably more active at nighttime when she senses no one is watching her. In time this will balance out and not be a problem, though it's always a good idea to scatter food or have more than one food bowl if you have a piggie who likes to hog the food for themselves!
Thank you for your reply! We have two food bowls which I place near their hideys it’s just that the bolder Piggie (Blossom) will empty her bowl and then head for the shy ones (Lavender) bowl before she plucks up the courage to get anything out of it. Blossom also has no problem popping into Lavender’s hidey and helping herself to any hay she find in there. We have fleece liners so I have hay in a litter tray, hay bag and hay roller type feeder which I keep near her hidey. I think your idea about leaving food later in the evening might be the way to go until she gets a bit braver. I know the settling in process can take a while I just worry she might starve before then!

Back