Confused Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can I have some advice I got my new baby guiena pig last Saturday everytime I go to touch him he speeds off when will I be able to hold him without stressing him

Hi. There is a downloadable paper in the resources link below that will help with new and shy piggies. Its a slow process but I don't rush them. Let them settle first into their environment then slowly try hand feeding them etc, this with help with the bonding and then when I see they are happy with being fed fro my hand i'll work on stroking while feeding etc and just building up.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/resources/

Hi once he's used to his new home and your voice he will soon settle, talk to him and stroke him as much as poss daily, slowly and gently pick him up (no sudden movements) using both hands.....under his bum and front feet for a short lap time to start with each day he will soon understand your the food provider, I hand fed mine their morning veg at lap time to get them used to us and to being handled, I've had my boys for 6-7 weeks and it's only really been the two week that they are truly happy with me putting me hands in and fussing them :)
I can not remember if this is your only piggy or not, if he is on his own then may think about getting him a small teddy to cuddle up to because he may be a bit nervous and unsure about being on his own the teddy must be suitable for new born babies no beans in the ted etc.
hope is of some time to you :)

Thank you peanut is on his own so def will get him a teddy for newborns and thank you very much for the advice he let me stroke him today so I suppose that's a start :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back