Confused on what to put under fleece

Lola.123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys, i just made a huge C&C cage so i decided to switch to fleece to save more money. but the already prepped Guinea pig fleece is like 50 dollars and i have a 3 by 6 cage so then its like 70 bucks. so i bought 8 yards of fleece from walmart for only 5 dollars but i dont know what ot put underneath it. i have some old beach towels that are 100 percent cotton that i can sew in. but I'm afraid that its gonna start stinking in 2 days. I also have one of those matress covers that are 100 percent cottong but idk if can put that sine it pretty thin. PLS helpp me i want to put my [igs in the cage tonight becuase I'm really impatient lol.

Towels take too long to dry so I wouldn’t use them. You could use disposable puppy pads, a waterproof mattress protector or washable puppy pads. How big is the cage? You may have to have two liners depending on the size of your cage.

i have like a 2 by 5 cage. and i have tried disposable puppy pads in my smaller cage and they started stinking in like 2 days cause they were really thin.

Puppy pads need changing likely every 1-2 days, especially in high traffic areas. Try washable puppy pads

i have heard some people putting 3 or 4 towels underneath there fleece do you think it would start stinking in like 2 days?

I also use puppy pads and I just throw them away after cleaning. Make sure your piggies can't get to the pads though because it's not good for them to ingest.

I use a mattress protector. It’s fairly thin I guess but does the job. The point is that it should be able to dry out rather than stay wet. The problem with towels is they take too long to dry, hence they smell.

Id caution you against sewing things together for now. I have my bits separate and it makes it easier to wash but also gives room to adapt. I have terrible trouble with mine burrowing underneath and with a flat sewn pad they lived beneath it.

I use mattress protector and just wrap the fleece around it rather than having it sewn together. I then have a large hay tray and I use bobbly bath mats / pee pads which I change out every few days. The main fleece and protector last a week.

I’m late to the party, but I agree towels stink faster than washable pee pads. My nephew uses disposable, he didn’t know about washable, but I didn’t ask how often he charges them.
Remember to add vinegar to bedding to get the stink out. Baking (bicarbonate) soda helps too, but vinegar is the best.

I have to say that I think the soft shell backed fleece is amazing stuff and highly recommend it. I always put newspaper on the bottom of my cage and when I use the soft shell backed fleece nothing soaks through its amazing. Doesn't stink badlyeither and I have to admit sometimes it's been left for 2 weeks rather than the usual one week and it's ok, just needs a quick brush down because of all the hay etc.... I bought a couple of strips of the soft shell fleece to fit my cage and it's less bulky than the usual fleece that is sandwiched with wadding and I wish I'd bought that to start with as it's so good!

You can see here how I have the puppy pads and then towels. I have to say I disagree about smell but then I change bedding oretty often so that's probably why.

Attachments

• 20221129_192143.webp
    20221129_192143.webp
    132.7 KB · Views: 3
Back