• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Confused on if this is a infection

Cryris

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi again, I’ve had some more concerns with my piggie queenie, who’s a sow. Recently we went from Timothy hay (oxbow) to orchard hay (also oxbow) due to low supply in the pet store. Now personally I’ve noticed that sometimes my piggy coughs when eating food to fast, (and the one time I picked her up after she had had a drink, my bad hun ) but aside from that she doesn’t cough regularly. This morning I woke up to find she has some discharge coming from one eye and was sneezing a bit. My other piggy sneezed once I believe as well, while I was holding them in cuddle cups.

I’ve attached some pictures down below. Her nose seems a bit runny as well- but from what I can tell she doesn’t seem to be wheezing. And so far hasn’t had a loss in appetite or energy (from what I’ve seen). I’m trying to figure out if this is the start of a respiratory infection or if it’s allergies from the Hay. They’ve had orchard grass in the past, and have not seemed to have any trouble. However this bag did have a different color on the label (if that means anything)

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 88C627F0-9C0C-41A6-86D6-6C65BEE8C0CB.webp
    88C627F0-9C0C-41A6-86D6-6C65BEE8C0CB.webp
    84 KB · Views: 7
Hi again, I’ve had some more concerns with my piggie queenie, who’s a sow. Recently we went from Timothy hay (oxbow) to orchard hay (also oxbow) due to low supply in the pet store. Now personally I’ve noticed that sometimes my piggy coughs when eating food to fast, (and the one time I picked her up after she had had a drink, my bad hun ) but aside from that she doesn’t cough regularly. This morning I woke up to find she has some discharge coming from one eye and was sneezing a bit. My other piggy sneezed once I believe as well, while I was holding them in cuddle cups.

I’ve attached some pictures down below. Her nose seems a bit runny as well- but from what I can tell she doesn’t seem to be wheezing. And so far hasn’t had a loss in appetite or energy (from what I’ve seen). I’m trying to figure out if this is the start of a respiratory infection or if it’s allergies from the Hay. They’ve had orchard grass in the past, and have not seemed to have any trouble. However this bag did have a different color on the label (if that means anything)

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome

It is impossible for me to say - it could have just been some dust been washed out from the eye or it can be the very beginnings of an eye ulcer from something either stuck under a lid or from an eye poke hidden by the film of watery fluid.
If you see an area of blueish/greyish gunk forming on top of the eye (ulceration), please see a vet promptly. Your vet will then check the eye with a special dye under UV light to check the extent of any possible injury.

I do however hope that it is just from some hay dust having got into the eye and is nothing to worry about.

Hi and welcome

It is impossible for me to say - it could have just been some dust been washed out from the eye or it can be the very beginnings of an eye ulcer from something either stuck under a lid or from an eye poke hidden by the film of watery fluid.
If you see an area of blueish/greyish gunk forming on top of the eye (ulceration), please see a vet promptly. Your vet will then check the eye with a special dye under UV light to check the extent of any possible injury.

I do however hope that it is just from some hay dust having got into the eye and is nothing to worry about.
Thank you for informing me! I’m gonna keep a close eye on them both and I’ll make sure to keep what you described in mind when checking her over!

Thank you for informing me! I’m gonna keep a close eye on them both and I’ll make sure to keep what you described in mind when checking her over!
If the eye keeps on watering constantly (which can be a sign of pain as well as opposed to an eye clearing wash), squinting or becomes smaller (a retracted eye is another sign of pain) without an ulceration forming, then you may also want to see a vet.

Please be aware that watery eye fluid is always a sign of irritation or pain. Eye cleaning fluid is milky white.
Eye injuries can deteriorate very quickly, so they are prioritised here in the UK.

Unlike with other illnesses, eye treatment and medication is the same as for other pet species like cats or dogs, so please see the vet who will see you soonest over waiting for an exotics vet. Any decent general vet should know what to do and have the relevant antibiotic eyedrops or gel in store for the other small pets they are seeing. Eye are the one area where speed comes before qualification. ;)

However, there is so far no surefire sign of an eye injury or infection visible in your picture, so you will have to wait and see whether ideally nothing comes of it or whether the eye deteriorates over the coming 24 hours.
Fingers crossed that it is nothing.

Got it! She hasn’t been pawing at it- or squinting it- so I hope it’s nothing that’ll develop further. If it does persist I think going to the vet seems like the best option- I also have saline solution In their emergency kit- would it be wise to use some of that if it persists? (Before I can get to a vet that is- which would not be long hopefully as my family has one for our cat)

Got it! She hasn’t been pawing at it- or squinting it- so I hope it’s nothing that’ll develop further. If it does persist I think going to the vet seems like the best option- I also have saline solution In their emergency kit- would it be wise to use some of that if it persists? (Before I can get to a vet that is- which would not be long hopefully as my family has one for our cat)

No, you do not have to step in right now and if in doubt, please ask the clinic for any recommendations when you need to make an appointment about what to do in the meantime if you can't be seen quickly.

No, you do not have to step in right now and if in doubt, please ask the clinic for any recommendations when you need to make an appointment about what to do in the meantime if you can't be seen quickly.
Understood! Thanks so much!

Back