Conflicting bonding methods? Which to use?

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Unfortunately we lost Smudge a few weeks ago and so now Smokey (6 years) is getting a new friend. We’ve found him one who we’re hoping to pick-up from the rescue in the next few weeks. The new boy is 10 months and neutered and had to be seperated from his brother as they fought so I’m very nervous for the bonding because I really want them to get along!
This will be my first time bonding piggies I have read the very useful guides here but have also got some information from the rescue and they recommend keeping them side by side for a few days first so they get used to each other’s scent before properly bonding them in the neutral space, is this a good idea? They also suggested scent swapping with fleece items?
I just want to find out everyone’s opinions and recommendations since I’m a bonding novice and want to help them to bond as much as possible, I obviously understand if they don’t get a long there’s not much I can do but my worst fear is having to return the new piggie because the bonding has failed.
Added a Smokey picture because who doesn’t love a piggie pic!😊

Attachments

• IMG_6853.webp
    IMG_6853.webp
    65 KB · Views: 3
I’m sorry for your loss.

Keeping them side by side for a few days and then doing the neutral territory bonding is absolutely fine. It gives them chance to get to know each other (although it doesn’t tell you whether they will actually get on), and for the new piggy to settle a bit before bonding.
Scent swapping may not be beneficial and does not have to be done.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Hi everyone!
Unfortunately we lost Smudge a few weeks ago and so now Smokey (6 years) is getting a new friend. We’ve found him one who we’re hoping to pick-up from the rescue in the next few weeks. The new boy is 10 months and neutered and had to be seperated from his brother as they fought so I’m very nervous for the bonding because I really want them to get along!
This will be my first time bonding piggies I have read the very useful guides here but have also got some information from the rescue and they recommend keeping them side by side for a few days first so they get used to each other’s scent before properly bonding them in the neutral space, is this a good idea? They also suggested scent swapping with fleece items?
I just want to find out everyone’s opinions and recommendations since I’m a bonding novice and want to help them to bond as much as possible, I obviously understand if they don’t get a long there’s not much I can do but my worst fear is having to return the new piggie because the bonding has failed.
Added a Smokey picture because who doesn’t love a piggie pic!😊

Hi

This doesn't conflict with our recommendations when you read the pre-bonding tips. It does help to allow the newcomer time to settle in and get their bearings - and that is a big stress factor out of the way. I usually do it this way when I bond at home.

However, one method I have found counterproductive is scent swapping. If you carry this into a territory (cage), it can be perceived as a hostile intrusion. You can mingle the scent (wipe the shared cage with dirty bedding from both piggies so it smells familiar territory to both) after the introduction but not before.

My other tip is not to rush the time in the bonding pen and rather leave them overnight than moving them into the cage too quickly. The more of the roughest bit of the bonding process they can work through before the move to the shared cage, the less dominance there will be after the move.

All the best.

Smokey reminds me of my Maelog RIP.

PS: Please upload any videos on a public setting in a service that doesn't require membership if you want a second opinion. Youtube would be best. Then copy the video across.

Thank you all for your advice, hoping to collect him in 2 weeks so will let you all know how the bonding goes 😊

Since you are adopting from a rescue that I assume has conducted a mandatory quarantine upon arrival, you can set them up next to each other so they can get to know each other through the bars.

I always notice how new arrivals instantly relax when they come into my house and hear and smell my other piggies. Not to be alone is also important, as much as giving the newbie time to get their bearings.

Here are some more very practical guides that deal with arrival and settling in, which you may find helpful:
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Back