Concrete To Wear Down Nails And Bedding Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelScruff&Binky

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I have 2 adorable outside living sows, their hutch has wood shavings on the floor and about 1.5 inches deep in their sleeping bit. I originally filled the sleeping but with generic hay and they ate it! But not the lovely expensive (relatively) burgess and Timothy hay I put into their living area. Hmmm. What do you use as bedding in outside hutches? I've currently got them a sea grass bed each but will need more insulation as it gets nippy?

Also claws! A friend reccomended some run around time on my paving flags to wear their claws down. Thoughts?

All help appreciated! We've had them. Few months now, and they're growing and happy!

image.webp

image.webp

image.webp

awwww- they are such cute pictures!
i would definatley say that the hutch will need a cover (purpose made or DIY) for winter otherwise the pigs probably wont make it :(
you can just use an old duvet/ matress cover and tarpaulin but i do find that the ones that are made specifically for the hutch are very useful
an idea i have heard- but am yet to try out- is putting a box in the sleeping area that allows for an inch gap around the side which you can stuff with straw. they wont eat the straw and it serves as good insulation. however i wouldnt suggest using straw as bedding as it can poke their eyes and cause other injuries
florr time on the paving stones is a good idea but i would give them a small place that is soft (a blanket maybe) so they can go there if they want - also make sure they don't spend too long on the hard ground as it can give them bumble foot , which isnt very nice at all.
what i do is put a small (20cmx20cm i think) slate in their hutch which i can put their food on to stop bedding sticking to it and when they walk over it everyday it helps wear their nails down- but obviously you will still need to cut them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back