Concerns about having to split my herd

Wheeksers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ahoy!

My herd consists of 6 sows (Little Bean, Pumpkin Spice, Brûlée, CariBoo, Nutmeg and Monk Fruit) - all of which have been bonded and living together for over a year now. Over the past month or so, there has been some behavior changes that is raising some yellow flags in my mind.

CariBoo (or Boo for short) has started to become very aggressive towards one particular pig (Brûlée). There is consistent rumble strutting, nipping, and attempts to mount almost all day. Sometimes Boo is able to get hair out of Brûlée, but there has not been any blood shed (except I found a small scratch on Brûlée's nose) Over the past week, another piggy has joined in (Little Bean). I know that this is a dominance behavior in the piggies, establishing their hierarchy, but I am growing concern with the higher levels of aggression that Boo is starting to show.

Steps I have taken so far:
- Increased cage cleaning
- Increased cage size (They were in a 2x9; Increased to a 2x11)
- Added additional hidies
- Taken Boo to the vet for a physical check

The vet noted that Boo is in amazing condition, no obvious signs of illness or concerns. Of course, I know this could be ovarian cysts encouraging this behavior, but would that cause her to go after one specific pig? Wouldn't it just make her be this way with everyone?

I'm concerned that it is possible Brûlée is slowly being rejected from the herd... but at the same time, none of the other piggies (except Little Bean) exhibit this behavior with Brûlée.

I was wondering what you'lls thoughts were on this. I continually am monitoring their behaviors & health conditions - making sure to check for possible injuries.

Cheers.

How old is Boo? And did the vet check for ovarian cysts? I’m not as experienced with sows so don’t know whether it would cause her to target one piggy in particular. But I think I’d eliminate medical issues before considering whether they (for whatever reason) don’t like each other any more. How does Brûlée behave when Boo mounts her etc?

I’ll tag @VickiA @Piggies&buns @PigglePuggle

How old is Boo? And did the vet check for ovarian cysts? I’m not as experienced with sows so don’t know whether it would cause her to target one piggy in particular. But I think I’d eliminate medical issues before considering whether they (for whatever reason) don’t like each other any more. How does Brûlée behave when Boo mounts her etc?

I’ll tag @VickiA @Piggies&buns @PigglePuggle

Boo's age is currently unknown, as I have adopted her from a humane society that had her and two others in my herd just literally dropped at their doorstep. When I adopted her last year, about a month after, we found out she was pregnant and had two healthy boys. So she is at least 1.5 to 2 years (since I've had her for a year and she was still her adult size when I adopted her) - but could be older.

They did not check for ovarian cysts, as I did not want to put her through the process without further investigation - but am thinking that is what I might need to do. Nutmeg has ovarian cysts, and she doesn't exhibit any of these kinds of behaviors - but I also think she's the Alpha pig (rightfully so haha).

As for how Brûlée behaves - She refuses to submit to Boo but will submit most times to Little Bean. Brûlée is a very talkative piggie - so there is constant (what I call bubbling), running away, and sometimes nipping back. But ultimately, refusing to allow Boo to dominate her.

Constant dominant behaviours - mounting, rumbling/appearing to be in season all the time are classic signs of ovarian cysts. Of course only a vet can diagnose but given she is at the age when cysts can occur, then it would be worth having a check done

Constant dominant behaviours - mounting, rumbling/appearing to be in season all the time are classic signs of ovarian cysts. Of course only a vet can diagnose but given she is at the age when cysts can occur, then it would be worth having a check done
That is what I was thinking as well - but was curious to why she doesn't show the same behavior towards other piggies.

That is what I was thinking as well - but was curious to why she doesn't show the same behavior towards other piggies.

Perhaps it’s because of position in the hierarchy?
It would definitely be best to carry out the checks for cysts first though before looking into whether there is more of a behavioural/relationship problem in the herd. Would be a shame to split them if it is medical and can be resolved

I wonder if you should have Brulee the bullied girl vet checked too? An ambitious rival might sense when another piggy is showing signs of illness and take advantage of that... Boo may have ovarian cysts, but equally Brulee may be unwell and the others have picked up on that.
Piggies can be very kind to sick companions but also young ambitious sows can sometimes be quite merciless if it gives them an advantage over a piggy close to them in the hierarchy!
More space is a good start to try ease tensions but the aggressor not be the one who is ill... is Boo the usual herd leader? If not, if the herd leader is ill, the second/third/fourth in line might have some fair old battles trying to reorganise their hierarchy too...
I'd get everyone a health check just to be sure, if you can list their approximate ages and usual rank or role in the group that may help make things clearer...
Hopefully it is just minor hormonal skirmishes from youngsters nothing more serious- up to age 2 then hormones will be flying everywhere in a group of 6 girls!

Back