Concerned about what to do for my piggies

Amiee Dalzell

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have two piggies from my little herd of 4 after recently losing another :( They are getting on a bit, around 7 years old.

My dilemma is I know guinea pigs prefer to live in groups. I had always thought that when there was only one piggies left I would need to rehome her (I won't be getting any more piggies)however I've recently been thinking that wouldn't it be best if they got rehomed together so at least they knew each other? And if I waited until there's was only one, they may be quite a bit older and less likely to handle rehoming .

This is such a hard choice as I've had then for so long, they are part of the family. I just want to do what's best for them. If it would be less stressful for them to be introduced somewhere new together rather than waiting until there's only one piggie

Hi everyone,
I have two piggies from my little herd of 4 after recently losing another :( They are getting on a bit, around 7 years old.

My dilemma is I know guinea pigs prefer to live in groups. I had always thought that when there was only one piggies left I would need to rehome her (I won't be getting any more piggies)however I've recently been thinking that wouldn't it be best if they got rehomed together so at least they knew each other? And if I waited until there's was only one, they may be quite a bit older and less likely to handle rehoming .

This is such a hard choice as I've had then for so long, they are part of the family. I just want to do what's best for them. If it would be less stressful for them to be introduced somewhere new together rather than waiting until there's only one piggie

Hi

A pair is fine. Guinea pigs just shouldn't be kept as singles if possible. Perhaps you could consider fostering a pair of rescue piggies for next door companionship where you could end your fostering after the loss of your last piggy?
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

For end of the line solutions for your last piggy you may want to talk with Auckland Cavy Care Rescue; it is to my knowledge the only guinea pig rescue in the whole country, so you are lucky. I can recommend them most highly.
Auckland Cavy Care

Hi

A pair is fine. Guinea pigs just shouldn't be kept as singles if possible. Perhaps you could consider fostering a pair of rescue piggies for next door companionship where you could end your fostering after the loss of your last piggy?
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

For end of the line solutions for your last piggy you may want to talk with Auckland Cavy Care Rescue; it is to my knowledge the only guinea pig rescue in the whole country, so you are lucky. I can recommend them most highly.
Auckland Cavy Care
Hi,

Thank you for your post 🥰 I love Auckland Cavy Care Rescue so will definitely keep them in mind. I guess I was wondering, as I know pairs are ok, whether they should be rehomed together into another group so they cope better, or wait until I have one piggie and rehome them then? I'm not sure the best approach.

Hi,

Thank you for your post 🥰 I love Auckland Cavy Care Rescue so will definitely keep them in mind. I guess I was wondering, as I know pairs are ok, whether they should be rehomed together into another group so they cope better, or wait until I have one piggie and rehome them then? I'm not sure the best approach.

Hi

Unfortunately, there is no 'best approach'. Only a trial and error one.

I have had older group sows/pairs who would just fit into a new group and others where it was an outright catastrophe even though they had lived alongside their new group for several years... Some pairs (or older sow singles) would just not accept any other piggies. It is not always because neither First Lady will refuse to step down, sometimes it is just on principle.

In my own experience, older sows past their original ideal pup bearing age (i.e. over 3 years) become much more difficult to bond. What looks ideal on paper can be anything but in the bonding pen.

Other longer term owners can also add their own experiences with merging pairs or singles.

Thank you Wiebke I really appreciate your reply and the information. Would love to get as much info as possible if anyone else has anything to pass along xx

Personally I’d find it too hard to give up my pair of piggies, and would think at their old age of 7, likely a little stressful for them.
It’s hard when a companion dies and you’re left with just one, it’s sad to see them alone. But often when they are elderly themselves they may soon follow their old friend over rainbow bridge within a few months..therefore not alone for long.

Back