compressed hay bales

• Thread starter Thread starter newpiggies
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newpiggies

Hi, do any of you lovely people buy hay that has been compressed into a bale? We have just bought a large hay bale from a farm shop to try out - about four times as large as the bale we have been buying in a sealed bag elsewhere, and for less money. However the hay is really compressed together and hard to pull out - is this normal? We also find the open bag it came in is so large that we can't cover it properly in the shed so will probably not get any more - we are concerned about contamination if mice get into it.

Yes i do... it sits up on the piggies cage and we get a 'biscuit' (section) off when we need it... :)

Thanks for your reply. It might seem like a silly question but I do feel very inexperienced with hay and have been wondering whether it is OK to use or whether I should try to compost it and go back to the other hay! I got a sample pack from the Hay Expert this week and their samples seem to be in a completely different league in quality to anything else I've tried so far. I can't see it being used for extensive areas as bedding though. I have been giving them the samples to try and so far they have loved munching the Timothy hay with rye.

I am selling Proper Foods 4 Pets pure Sundried Green Leaf timothy hay in aid of the rescue- no rye at all. I also have access to Golden Timothy. It comes in a compressed bale (horse size) or a pet pack. Pictures of hay for sale

Hi, it so happens I looked at your website just ten minutes ago, before your reply and thought it was a good idea and great that it raises funds for the rescue too. :) I noticed it is a collection only offer though and I live in Cambridgeshire. I'm still trying to get the hang of translating the weight of a bale to the physical size. My other half wants us to keep to smaller quantities ie what can be stored in a large plastic dustbin (clean) so we can keep it covered from mice. He wasn't pleased about the bale I bought that was about four foot high and two foot across..... :)

I tend to buy bags of it from the shop we get our chicken food from. It's lovely and green. I've noticed that in bales it's usually really brown and doesn't smell as nice..I also have no where to store it :D

we have compressed bales from the farm and pull it apart to keep in black bags,we're runnin out of storage space though and the hubby is " your damn beasts are taking over this house " "well yes duh of course,thats why i spend more time with them than you,at least they dont answer back "

mwahah

Sehnsucht said:
we have compressed bales from the farm and pull it apart to keep in black bags,we're runnin out of storage space though and the hubby is " your damn beasts are taking over this house " "well yes duh of course,thats why i spend more time with them than you,at least they dont answer back "

mwahah

I make dad shove all the pet stuff I'm not using atm in the loft ::)

newpiggies said:
Hi, it so happens I looked at your website just ten minutes ago, before your reply and thought it was a good idea and great that it raises funds for the rescue too. :) I noticed it is a collection only offer though and I live in Cambridgeshire. I'm still trying to get the hang of translating the weight of a bale to the physical size. My other half wants us to keep to smaller quantities ie what can be stored in a large plastic dustbin (clean) so we can keep it covered from mice. He wasn't pleased about the bale I bought that was about four foot high and two foot across..... :)

Hi, I can get it shipped to you too now (will make that clear on the post, thanks) but you need to order through me for the guineas to benefit. This is top quality eating hay. Mine love the Tim and Alpine best.

Thanks for the info, will bear you in mind when I next get some hay - we have plenty at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back