Completing “Daily” Tasks One More Time (Grief)

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Hi,

This monday I woke up to medicate my 5 year old boar Winston as usual. He had been suffering with stasis on and off for a few weeks, and I was hopeful for our vet appointment that afternoon. I thought this would finally be the time we get rid of the stasis once and for all.

To my surprise I started syringe feeding him his critical care and he spat it out, he almost looked like he was choking on it. I cleared his mouth and made a post here for advice as I was somewhat lost and shocked.
I then noticed he was unable to swallow completely, choking on his own spit every 2-5 minutes.

I rang the vets urgently and although there were no appointments they managed to slip me in, in one hours time.
I just sat there, holding him and trying to keep his mouth/throat as clear as possible, speaking to him as I can’t imagine how scary it would have been for him.

Once we made it we were sat in the waiting room and he kept choking. People were looking at us probably wondering what the hell was going on, I kept opening the cage and trying my best to keep his mouth clear.
We eventually got called in and she weighed him and had a look around. He became to choke on his spit again as she was carrying out her investigations. She listened to his heart and eventually his lungs, where she heard fluid.

Although I knew it was the end realistically, seeing her shake my head at me and tell me there was no more we could do broke me. I just couldn’t believe that that was it. I said my goodbyes and he went to be pts on his favourite blanket.
We went home and I held his body and sobbed, I really truly couldn’t believe that that was it. When done I wrapped his body back up and placed him outside in his old hutch (still wrapped up).

We decided to bury him the next day. He was stone cold and stiff. I know it’s normal but again I couldn’t believe it was happening to my Winston. I felt so horrible that I had left him out there overnight even if I know deep down it was the right thing to do.
There’s something really shocking about laying your animal, especially one who was just alive and ‘well’ the past day, to rest in the dirt. I knew he was passed away and his soul was already over the rainbow bridge, but I just felt he deserved more than the ground.
Either way I laid him to rest, walked away before my dad filled up the hole and sobbed in my room.

Since then the feelings have been on and off. I’ve been to the vet 3 times since then as my 6 month old boar got a big abscess removal the day after Winstons emergency PTS, but I couldn’t afford to push his op back as the lump was very large.
We have had some complications with it from head tilts to fluid swelling. Thankfully this morning most of it was sorted and he’s now on the road to recovery (with any luck and medication!)

My parents have been on at me the whole week to remove “his stinky old cage”. They aren’t wrong, the day he was PTS it was his full cage clean day, but how do i explain that I can’t bring myself to do it without getting laughed at (his cage wasn’t particularly stinky though, I would have removed it sooner if it was).
I finally removed the soiled hay and uneaten veg this evening, and I know that’s gross to some people but (atleast my family) don’t understand how unbelievably difficult it is to do something like that for the last time. I will now never get to clean up after him again.

I will never get to hold him again. Or give him his critical care. I will never get to surprise my mum by putting his front feet on her head and her having the biggest smile because Winston was her favourite.

Maybe I should have done it earlier, as I did need to put gloves on because it had started to go… gross (which isn’t very nice, i am aware of that so please don’t judge me). To them it’s dirty hay and poops, to me it’s the last remaining physical item I had of his.
I didn’t even get to keep the blanket he used all the time for feedings, because he had drooled so much in the hours before his PTS, so I had to wash it.

Anyway, this is really just a rant. As I took a deep breath because Remi seemed fine for the first time since Tuesday afternoon, and finally took the time to clean out the old hay and poops from his cage, I have realised he really is gone.

This forum is amazing, even the support given when I made my original post for Winston was amazing, so I thank you all for that.
If anyone is feeling the same way, don’t let your feelings/grief be put to the side because they’re “just pets/rodents”, because they aren’t just that, they’re family.

Sleep tight Winston, I love you so much.
IMG_5020.webpIMG_4861.webpIMG_0206.webpIMG_3586.webp

Sending you hugs, I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. You give your piggies a wonderful life full of love, you did absolutely everything you could for Winston and in the end when no more could be done you saved him from pain and suffering. I hope it won't be too long before you can look back life with Winston with a smile and fond memories, this time of sadness will pass.
I hope Remi will get well very quickly. My Peanut (RB) had an abscess removed from his neck, it was a complete removal rather than a drain. I think it took him 2 weeks for the swelling to go down and 4 weeks of top up syringe foods before he was completely back to normal.
I'm sorry your family aren't being very understanding about Winston's cage. When I lose a piggy I tend to clean the cage and sort everything out straight away. I find it helps to keep busy but we are all different and should do what is best for us.

Sending you a great big hug :hug:.
I can totally sympathise, we are taking it slowly since Wednesday evening when Billy was pts.
Hamish was not impressed when I gave him one of Billy’s smelly mini fleece pads as comfort, so I have left Billy’s side mostly alone, and a little smell is hopefully lingering for him. I cleaned the yukky bits first, then this morning I have made up a load of pig washing with some of his smaller pads. It’s sad to put everything away. I was half way through veg prep the last 2 days & realised I was preparing veg for 2, and almost drew up all Billy’s meds as well, which made me cry again.

The e-mails I wrote on Thursday to let our special people know were especially hard.

You love your piggies dearly, and it shines through in the forum posts you make about them.
As Piggyminder said, one day hopefully looking back on the happy times & memories will make you smile.
I hope Remi recovers quickly & each day you slowly see an improvement.

I am so sorry you have had to say good bye to your little soulmate Winston. It’s incredibly difficult washing away the very last remnants if our little pets, sending big hugs. Although you are left with sadness now in time happy memories will shine through, take care of you and Remi

Popcorn high Winston 🌈

I'm really sorry- we all understand.
I need to clean out my hamster's enclosure this weekend, and she died over a month ago. It really is a horrible thing to have to do, and I'm dreading it too.
Winston had a wonderful life in your care, and he knew he was loved. 🥰

HUGS

I m so very sorry for your loss and your struggles with it.

Removing the visible remains and retraining yourself to a daily routine that no longer involves a beloved one is a very, very
painful process. You have to either do it very quickly (which can feel extremely cruel) or you can get caught up in your grieving loop with developing a blockade and being unable to move on. It often gets the harder the longer you wait. :(

When my all-time special piggy Minx died, I wasn't able to look at pictures of her for months and was unable to have any feelings for the neutered boar I had to emergency adopt for her bereaved companion who could not cope with being bereaved again. Llewelyn became later the first patriarch around who I built up my large Tribe group adventure to take my piggy journey into a very different direction after my very close bond with free-roaming Minx. Sadly, this all happened before there was any support (or even much understanding re. grieving for small small pets) around.

Please contact the Blue Cross platforms after the weekend. Talking about your feelings and issues with trained people who understand what you are struggling with is the best thing you can do for yourself over the coming weeks. Pet bereavement can happen to anyone but if you have mental health issues it can really hit you very hard and in very unexpected ways.
Pet bereavement and pet loss

Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

I am very sorry that you have lost your beloved Winston 😞 Letting go of what’s left is incredibly painful and I am facing it myself tomorrow but Esme hasn’t passed away, she’s going to her new home where she can have piggy companionship again. I can’t being myself to clean her cage when we return home and ‘getting rid’ of everything piggy so my husband is doing it for me.

Please do contact the Blue Cross. I did it after losing Ella and Elizabeth and will be doing it again when Esme has moved in to her new home and I no longer have piggies (((hugs))) x

Thank you all for your replies, really.

Even just sharing your own experiences in such a hard time means so much, and I am sending so much love to everyone struggling with it as well.

So very sorry for your loss.
Doing things for the last time is hard and it is natural to find you need time.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.
Hugs :hug:

Back