Community Living

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuggedCross

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Let me first start with a brief intro.
My legal name is Greg. I am a 47 year old male in (and from) the U.S.A. I First got into Guinea Pigs (or Cavies) in 1994 when I bought my first female from a pet shop. Coincidentally, I also accidentally got into breeding at that time. It was no big deal then, she gave me two small litters
I was able to find another guinea pig lover to give them a good home when I decided to get out of breeding. My original female passed naturally from age.

I tried to introduce my children to guinea pigs a couple of years ago with no luck and was forced to find the guinea pigs another home for financial reasons.

I now have a successful breeding pair, which brings me to my question.
Due to limited human space, I am now forced to house my guinea pigs as a community. I just don't have the space for separate enclosures for 7 guinea pigs as we also have three bunnies and four dogs.
I know community living can be done but, I've never tried it. So here's what I need to make work...

1 male will continue to have his own enclosure as he belongs to my daughter.
3 males ( Dad and sons from separate litters) need to be housed together.
3 females (Mom and daughters from separate litters) need to be housed together. (Trying to prevent unplanned breeding.)

Mom and daughters are fine together but, no need to wait for trouble.
Dad and youngest son are fine as well as sons but, the oldest son and Dad quarrel.
I've read that this is normal and not normally a cause for concern ( they don't seem to be out to harm one another yet.) I first thought that they were fighting over the shelter and added another. This helped for a bit but, now it seems that they are fighting over who will look after the little one. The poor little guy seems to be the focal point. He finds protection with one and the other goes on the "attack" and visa versa.

I know that space is likely a contributing factor but, I honestly don't know how to make a proper (not premanufactured) enclosure. I have the skill but, not the knowledge.
I am looking for tips on how to properly design a community enclosure that promotes both safety and peaceful living, especially among the males.
I plan to keep the premanufactured enclosures for breeding, nursery and quarantine if needed or desired. (I'm not looking to become a breeder. I just want a self sustaining community with the occasional rescue, only parting with these fun little critters if I get over populated and it becomes necessary.)

Let me first start with a brief intro.
My legal name is Greg. I am a 47 year old male in (and from) the U.S.A. I First got into Guinea Pigs (or Cavies) in 1994 when I bought my first female from a pet shop. Coincidentally, I also accidentally got into breeding at that time. It was no big deal then, she gave me two small litters
I was able to find another guinea pig lover to give them a good home when I decided to get out of breeding. My original female passed naturally from age.

I tried to introduce my children to guinea pigs a couple of years ago with no luck and was forced to find the guinea pigs another home for financial reasons.

I now have a successful breeding pair, which brings me to my question.
Due to limited human space, I am now forced to house my guinea pigs as a community. I just don't have the space for separate enclosures for 7 guinea pigs as we also have three bunnies and four dogs.
I know community living can be done but, I've never tried it. So here's what I need to make work...

1 male will continue to have his own enclosure as he belongs to my daughter.
3 males ( Dad and sons from separate litters) need to be housed together.
3 females (Mom and daughters from separate litters) need to be housed together. (Trying to prevent unplanned breeding.)

Mom and daughters are fine together but, no need to wait for trouble.
Dad and youngest son are fine as well as sons but, the oldest son and Dad quarrel.
I've read that this is normal and not normally a cause for concern ( they don't seem to be out to harm one another yet.) I first thought that they were fighting over the shelter and added another. This helped for a bit but, now it seems that they are fighting over who will look after the little one. The poor little guy seems to be the focal point. He finds protection with one and the other goes on the "attack" and visa versa.

I know that space is likely a contributing factor but, I honestly don't know how to make a proper (not premanufactured) enclosure. I have the skill but, not the knowledge.
I am looking for tips on how to properly design a community enclosure that promotes both safety and peaceful living, especially among the males.
I plan to keep the premanufactured enclosures for breeding, nursery and quarantine if needed or desired. (I'm not looking to become a breeder. I just want a self sustaining community with the occasional rescue, only parting with these fun little critters if I get over populated and it becomes necessary.)

For those concerned about my breeding practices...
I have only allowed Mom and Dad to breed. I may have to try to get Mom to mate with the Isolated male to introduce 'new" genes to the community. The isolated male is a rescue and from different parents. (Another reason for separating the males and females.)

I have approved your posts in order to respond and then I shall close your threads to comment.
Please read this link Terms of Service And Forum Rules
These are the terms and rules you agreed to on sign up. We are a pro rescue anti intentional breeding forum. Discussion about intentional breeding is strictly banned. Feelings run very high on the subject on this forum. There are plenty of groups and forums you can join where breeding is discussed. This is not one.

You cannot keep 3 males together. It will lead as you have already found to fighting. Please remove the boar who is being picked on and either neuter him and find him a sow companion or alternatively find him a same sex companion who he gets along with.

This thread is now being closed. Please do not open any new threads where breeding (past present or future) is mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back