Comments on my idea please..

• Thread starter Thread starter spudnik
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spudnik

Ok my girls currently free range in half of my shed, they are on shavings and unless picked up for a cuddle (which is hard work getting to them as if they go to the other side of the cage i cant reach them without climbing in) all they see is my hand giving them their food, and hay etc.. they do stand up on their back legs and look at me, but i want more interaction with them and for them to be warmer so this is what I'm thinking of doing:

1) hiring the cage, to about my waist level possibly a tad higher so that way they can see me a lot more, and they would be off the floor making it warmer i would have thought? I'd be making a solid frame with space underneath it and making a sort of box to sit on top of the frame will all be sturdy thick wood.

2) this would then make it much easier for me to change their bedding to I'm thinking pro-fleece with towels underneath like i do with meeka, but I'm wondering if they will be warmer on that? i think they will they have it in their bed sometimes and it always feels toasty :)

3) they will get more interaction with me as they will be able to see my face if they are higher up, and it will be better for me to handle them.

4) the layour of the cage will be exactly the same size free-range run as they have now so no space will be taken off, i could actually add another layer using grids perhaps, I'm think 3 sides of the cage will be high wood and making shallower piece for the front with a slot in front panel in which grids can be slid into, so they can also see out. i want to put insulation around the cage which may take up 1/2 inch poss at the back and sides, and i will also insulate the underneath of the cage.

5) I will have more space in my shed as i can store all their stuff such as hay and food under them :)

Do you think that could work, and if you can suggest anything i havent thought of please tell me! lol

It sounds like a good idea, you seem to have everything covered.I say go for it and take lots of piccies when it's done! :)

Oh thats sounds brilliant O0 Id go for it but it may be a lot of hard work ;D

Sounds good to me too, how will they get up and down into the raised area?

they wont, its one level they are just not on the ground if you know what i mean.. I'm basically hiring what they have now about a metre just over off the ground

It sounds great :D Would love to see pics when you have done it, it will give me some ideas for when we move and get more space O0

cool, I'm going to measure up tomorrow and ring around get quotes for all the wood i'll need! i know a supplier of grids on the net for the front that sell them singular at a good price and they have loads of diff sizes i'll post link if anyone wants it..

Do you mean the c & c grids? Do they sell the connectors seperately? If so, the link would be great as I am after some more connectors ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back