Coming Home For Christmas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie K

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I know it's a cliché, but we're getting my daughter a pair of guinea pigs for Christmas. I am so excited! (They'll end up being more mine than hers I'm sure ;)) We're collecting them early next week so will have them a good few days before the big day.. My problem is - I want to leave the hutch new and clean so as Poppy and I can set it all up together on Christmas day - what would be suitable temporary housing for my piggies? I was thinking a really big plastic storage box, leaving the lid off of course, at least 12 inches high. Would this be ok? Obviously with bedding, hay etc.. Do you have any other suggestions that may work better? It may be used on other occasions (visiting family etc.) too..

Thanks in advance!

Kate

:yahoo:There's nothing more exciting than getting guinea pigs!

I would suggest getting an indoor cage such as this one:
Skyline Maxi XXL Small Pet Cage | Free P&P £29+ at zooplus!
Which you can also put them in when you clean them out and would do nicely if you took them away with you! This size of cage is the minimum size two guins would need and so you can leave them in there without having to worry about them.
Are you getting boys or girls? Have you thought of any names? Looking forward to seeing pictures :wub: xx

:yahoo:There's nothing more exciting than getting guinea pigs!

I would suggest getting an indoor cage such as this one:
Skyline Maxi XXL Small Pet Cage | Free P&P £29+ at zooplus!
Which you can also put them in when you clean them out and would do nicely if you took them away with you! This size of cage is the minimum size two guins would need and so you can leave them in there without having to worry about them.
Are you getting boys or girls? Have you thought of any names? Looking forward to seeing pictures :wub: xx

Thanks so much - this looks perfect! Boys, they're brothers, gorgeous curly things! I was going to leave names to Poppy though maybe that's not such a smart idea - everything seems to be called Primrose or Sparkles at the moment!

Thanks again :) Will hop back on and share some photos!

Kate x

New piggies are hugely exciting. Congratulations to you and your daughter. In case you haven't already found them there are some very helpful threads on guinea pig care including settling in your new arrivals. Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

New piggies are hugely exciting. Congratulations to you and your daughter. In case you haven't already found them there are some very helpful threads on guinea pig care including settling in your new arrivals. Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Thank you Vicki :) I collected them yesterday and after reading up a lot on settling them in have pretty much left them to it.. I am wondering though, how often should I be going in to check on them? I don't want them to think i'm neglecting them but also don't want to keep disturbing them and making them anxious.. It's a balancing act! I'm going to hold off handling them but am just trying to gain trust by talking to them and gently stroking them.. Hard to resist snuggles as they're so gorgeous but I appreciate it's what's best for them :) xx

:yahoo:Congratulations. How lovely. I think you just have to play it by ear as all piggies are different. If they are already used to humans and are used to being stroked that's great. Just make sure all interaction at first is associated with good things like hay, veggies, herbs. That way they will soon be wheeking at the sound of you coming to see them. All sounds very promising.

Congrats on your new pigs! Our initial pair came home at Christmas as well... it was a great memory! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back