Cold

Zorro1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's the middle of winter here in Australia, and lately it's been getting freezing cold -around 16 degrees Celsius. 🥶
I'm a little worried for my piggy, I've seen him all puffed up and sometimes vibrating. I'm trying to give him warm fabrics to snuggle into but that's all I can do. Does anyone have some tips for keeping him warm? - I don't have an air conditioned room.

Add plenty of hay into his cage, stuff his houses with it. Hay is a great insulator and snuggling up in hay is a great way to keep warm.

Cover is cage with a blanket to stop any draughts from getting to him.

Can you get microwaveable snugglesafes? They are great - it’s a disc which you heat up in a microwave and it stays warm for up to 10 hours.

It's the middle of winter here in Australia, and lately it's been getting freezing cold -around 16 degrees Celsius. 🥶
I'm a little worried for my piggy, I've seen him all puffed up and sometimes vibrating. I'm trying to give him warm fabrics to snuggle into but that's all I can do. Does anyone have some tips for keeping him warm? - I don't have an air conditioned room.

Can you order microwaveable heat pads?

Otherwise a cardboard box stuffed (but not solid) with soft hay makes a nicely insulated den; you can slip a heat pad underneath.

Cold Weather Care for Indoor and Outdoor Guinea Pigs

Microwaveable heat pads for guinea pigs seem to be quite pricey, would a microwaved heat pack be just as good?

Microwaveable heat pads for guinea pigs seem to be quite pricey, would a microwaved heat pack be the same?

No it’s not the same. Snugglesafes are designed for animals and are completely safe.
They are quite pricey here too but are a godsend

Back