Cold weather

Hensa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Cold weather best hay type for insulation ? Is it possible to use heating pads designed for cats or reptiles under a plastic c gage set up? My Guinea pigs won’t use the round disc snugglesafes. indoor temperature is sometimes dropping to 12 degrees c

I fid a light fluffy meadow hay best for the piggies to snuggle in. I wouldn't use any heat pad with electrical wires. I use snugglesafes, mine won't sit on them but I put them in the cages near where they sit the most, they at least warm the air around them a bit. I always think if the piggies were really cold they would lay beside them if not on.

You could always put some fleece over the top of one end of the cage and place a snugglesafe at each side, as heat rises the fleece will trap some of it creating a little warm area, they won't have to sit directly on them. Piggies tend to cope well with cold though, especially if theyre indoors, the biggest danger of cold weather comes from damp, a damp piggy is very quickly a chilled piggy. So generally if they don't use them, it's because they don't need them :)

I also agree with the above, nice fluffy meadow hay is favoured by my lot as well

:agr:

Soft meadow hay Is best and definitely use Snugglesafes rather when heating items intended for other animals .

My piggies and rabbits live out in sheds and i put snugglesafes under some of their hides (some with, some without so they have a choice). They provide a warm area even if they don’t directly sit on them (the rabbits certainly never sit directly on them) but as Eriathwen has said, if Snugglesafes are ignored it can be because they don’t feel cold enough to sit on them (same with ice blocks and frozen bottles in summer - if they don’t sit against them then they aren’t feeling hot enough to need to)

Back