Cold food and drink

T&A

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if guinea pigs can tolerate cold veggies and water straight from the fridge or if it need to be more from temperature? Does cold food give them tummy aches/upset?

I give veg straight from the fridge. By the time I’ve given it to them, it may have been at room temp for a couple of minutes. They seem okay with that.

As for water, I try not to make it too cold especially in winter. I’m not sure how they would be with water straight from the fridge though…

Ah ok. I was just wondering because i think some other animals don’t tolerate to cold food and drink very well and wondered if it was the same for guinea pigs aswell

I give my lot their veg straight from the fridge, we eat veg and salad straight from the fridge so I’ve never thought to do anything else.

I don’t give them water from fridge, not because I’m worried about doing so, more because I don’t have enough space to store water in jugs in the fridge!

I feed veg straight from the fridge and water straight from the tap. If they think it's too cold then they can leave it a few minutes to warm up. I've never heard of a guinea pig harming itself by eating something that was too cold.

I always leave vegetables out for a few minutes before feeding them, my fridge is very cold and I wouldn’t want to upset their bellies. I’m in lots of polish guinea pig groups and you’re always told not to feed cold stuff, it might be okay but knowing that I’d rather be safe than regret it later.
They get bottled water so they get that straight from the bottle, I don’t keep the bottles in the fridge

I feed veg straight from the fridge and water straight from the tap. I get the veg out the fridge then I spot clean the cage, replenish the hay and then give them the veg so it's not ice cold but not room temp either.

Back