• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cloudy Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ive noticed Sandy has got a cloudy eye, I only noticed it today and its quite obvious so must of only recently happened. Any idea what could of caued it? Can the vets do anything?

It could be an injury caused by hay - i too would take her to the vets for a diagnosis  :)

Thanks, I thjough it might be hay too but tried to look in and around her eye and couldnt see anything. Will take her Friday then :)

Cataracts are normally bi lateral.

Eyes become opaque after injury as this is natures way of resting and therefore healing them.Most eye injuries clear themselves within a few days.Best to leave alone.

If you are worried let a vet have a look.

If the vet thinks the eye is infected he/she may prescribe an antibiotic eye ointment.

They look really bad sometimes but ditto to Mary. Mary if there's a 'film' over the eye is it worth keeping it moist with cooled boiled water, or is that a waste of time? I always do, but always wonder if its worth it ::)

If the eye is not swollen and is not discharging,in other words,just has the opaque blue cover,I leave alone.

I hate eye probs and always go to see Jenny for some Fucithalmic. My friends pig needed an eye removal and only survived because she was able to give him good aftercare, I hate dealing with eyes so play it safe! Will stop with the water though :)

She'll definitely be going to the vets Friday so woill keep you updated. My poor baby!

Thanks, shes one of the ones that came with my Buy 1 Get 3 Free from the pet shop (ie- Nala was pregnant) so could it maybe be an inherited thing due to probable in-breeding? Or is that impossible cos, so far, none of the others have got it?

I would imagine it would have shown at birth Debs, but who knows. What a bargain ::)

Mine have had this before and I use Brolyne eye drops....cleaedr it up in a few days and you can by from the chemist. If your in any doubt see the vet O0

Good luck and I hope it clears up ;)

Shes booked in for 2:30 tomorrow, will keep you updated :)
Is it best to take someone with her? She lives with her Mum and 2 other sisters so if I take 1 with her there will still be 2 left in the cage so none would be left alone.

My bridget had a cloudy eye a while back, I took her to the vet complete with friend Molly as didn't want her to go through ordeal on her own. Vet found tiny piece of hay in her eye despite me not finding anything, he prescibed some cream as eye was inflammed and it cleared up in no time....good luck and let us know how it goes

OK thank you, might take her Mum with her as she seems to get on well :)

Sorry completely forgot to update earlier! Shes got quite a bad ulcer in her eye, possibly caused by a bit of hay poking in it but she said theres nothing actually in there. The vet did a dye test which showed how big it was and it is pretty bad! I've now got to give her 1 eye drop twice a day for 7days, plus 3 droplets of Metacam once a day for 6days! Should be a fun week for me...lol

3 drops of Metacam daily for 6 days seems a bit strong.I only give one drop,and stop after 3 days if possible.

Oh, the vet said it will help stop infection due to the ulcer?

ETA: Maybe just 1 drop for 6days then?

The eye drops are antibiotic and will stop infection, unless she's in pain I'm not sure why you have Metacam? Is she eating?

Yeah shes eating fine!

ETA: I really hope it isnt just a money making thing as it cost me about £8 for that bottle of Metacam!

hi sweetie no my bottle of metacam costs me over 30 dollars so no even with the exchange that's not bad :o :o :o

am crossing our paws for you both, so wish it would go away quickly, i know how much you care :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Hugs and piggie kisses from us both :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks!
So should I continue with the Metcam? Seems a waste of money if I dont use it! I only gave her 2 drops instead of 3 last night after what was mentioned on here, was pretty easy to give her it actually!

ooops sorry been chatting on the phone ::)

How long now exactly has she been taking the metacam, cause they usually say with an infection 4-7 days and after an op well depending on what type of op, and this is just from my past experiences only :)
If no signs of pain and i'm sure you know her the best :smitten: you'll know her typical day to day routine, if you think after 3-4 days no pain well as the others have said stop it and see how she goes. But keep in mind if in doubt go for a check up O0

You're doing fab love :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Metacam will not stop infection,it is a combined anti inflammatory and analgesic.It has a side affect of possible liver/kidney damage if given in too high a dose or over a long period.

If the piggy is running around and eating welll.and not looking depressed,it is unlikely to be in pain.I would stop the Metacam.

It has a fairly long shelf life,so store it somewhere safe,you may need it in the future.

All vetinary drugs are expensive.

Thank you, she is acting 100% normal so I dont think its bothering her too much! I think I'll give her just 1 drop tonight then leave it. I swear her eye is looking better already after only 3 treatments of the eye drops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back