Clipping Nails, Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazelbeth

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feel awful, my little boy had his first nail clipping today. He wriggles alot, and he has black nails, I cut one too short and it bled heavily! I've put powder over it and the bleeding seems to have stopped, he's moving around more now,but what should I do?:(do I need to make sure he doesn't make it bleed again? I feel terrible, please help :(:(:(

Dont worry mistakes happen, just keep a close eye on him but i am sure he will be fine. Black nails are easier to cut if i light is shone underneath them.

After 6 years I have still never cut a guinea pigs nail, Mine always see a vet to have theirs done.

Can I put him outside with the rest of them? Or will that increase the risk of infection? I have guinea pig tea-tree cream. Would that help?

It happens so don't worry, We use a dab of Sudocrem for any little accidents or a septic pen..

Dont worry I had to take marzipan to the vet after several times (she was abused at a pet shop as a baby her nails are all curled and have never been the same since) its just a nerve she would have squealed as it to say whats my mummy doing to my foot but it wouldn't be painful dose she have black nails thats always a strugle as you cant see how far to cut have a look on you tube theres a lady who goes step by step so it dosent happen again if it dose its time to let the vet cut them for you i pay £3 every time she needs them cut :) she will be fine !

I did that the once but it was only a few drops on blood, i found placing my pig ( lightly) in a blanket with a slice of cucumber helped ( or your guinea pig favorite veg)

If the bleeding has stopped then all should be well & you needn't do anything further. I've done this twice to one of my boys who is a squirmer at nail trim time. I always stopped the bleeding with a styptic pencil like men use for shaving cuts. But I felt bad & so now I wrap him in a towel, exposing one foot at a time while he munches on a long stalk of parsley, his fave treat. I get 2 or 3 nails cut per stalk of parsley. He does not seem to notice I am nail trimming while he is munching - utter food focus. His nails are black except for one foot so I have no idea where the quick is. Regularly once a month I just trim a small amount with human type clippers as they do not open too wide. I still keep a styptic pencil on hand but have not had to use it since I started the towel & parsley.

My other boy has to go to the vet every month for dentals so I just let the vet also do the nails at the same time.

I find nail cutting so hard! My guinea pigs nails seem to grow so fast I can't keep up. And one of them has nails that dont cut properly like nails, it kind of crumbles and squished when you close the clippers. I really struggle, I don't know how to do hers without causing pain or a mess of her nails :soz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back