• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Clicking noise

Shanny24

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a new guinea pig owner and this evening one of my guinea pigs was making a clicking noise when she was being held. Just wondering if this is normal or should I contact the vet?
She is only 4 months old

Welcome to the forum

Please have any clicking from the chest or clicky breathing checked out by a vet. Chest sounds or noisy breathing can be a sign of an infection and should always be checked by a vet as a priority. It becomes an emergency if there is any respiratory distress (sucking in of sides etc) and needs to be seen immediately.

Any whistling or sound coming from the nose is usually hay dust in the airways. Piggies have narrow airways and any obstruction is more audible. In this case, a sneeze usually clears it quite promptly. (In the event a sneeze didn’t clear it or if it clears and then comes back, then vet advice should be sought).

The fact you specifically say clicking, means it is is something which does need to be checked by a vet promptly.

While you get an appointment, it would be wise to switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her every morning. This enables you to monitor hay intake more closely and step in with syringe feeding if she loses weight.
In the case of a respiratory infection, then they can find eating harder given the need to breathe comes first, and then they can need feeding support.

I’ve added in our weight monitoring guide to help you

Back