Cleaning.

Jenni85

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
All the accessories in the girls cage are fleece, hideys, tunnels, forage fleece etc. They obviously get grubby real quick, is it OK to put a while new set up in the cage on wash day?

I don't want them to be confused or anything, I'm probably totally overthinking it.

It is ok provided your girls are ok with it. If they are a bit unsettled, then you can rub the old bedding on the new bedding to transfer some smells back to it.

(If you had teenage boars it could be a different story as they tend to be more territorial and completely changing everything can cause upset (and more smell as they work to scent mark everything in a hurry!))

Thank you, I'll see how they are and if they seem unsettled I'll do it in stages as it won't all fit in the machine at the same time anyway.

They're usually open to new things but that's been during floor time, so we will see 😂

I always tended to split the cage clean a bit and make sure they had a couple of older things in there, which I would replace a day or two later (once the new things were suitably smelly).
I also always had couple of wooden houses with only got cleaned a few times a year.

Back