• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angeladeedah

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya. I'm new to guinea pigs so have a question. In the books it says that you should bathe your piggy every coupla weeks. Does anyone actually do this and is it necessary? ?

Hi,

Welcome both to the forum and the wonderful world of piggies--you will find they are addictive!.

You should not bath your piggies every 2 weeks,this will remove the natural oil from the skin and make them prone to parasitic activity.If your piggy is long haired,keep the hair at the rear trimmed to stop it trailing in wee,and if the bottom does get mucky give a bottom wash rather than a full bath.Piggies can be bathed approx once every 6 weeks to keep the skin healthy.The best shampoos to use are those from

WWW.gorgeousguineas.com

do not buy shampoos from petshops as these contain chemicals.

Good luck with the piggy keeping.Any time you need advise about anything.there is always someone on the forum to help.

I bathed my Sheltie quite a lot in the past month as he had mites and his coat is a bit dry looking now. Once a month to 6 weeks is enough. :)

Louise
x

Hi there and welcome to the forum from us in OZ :)
I agree with the previous posts :) what type of piggie have you got? You might find that as long as you keep the cage area clean your piggie should be fine. You can also give errr 'butt' baths LOL a clean of the essential parts on either a girl or a boy with the special shampoos...
Always ask questions love i'm sure there will be someone along pretty quickly to advise and help O0 You can also do a search too and you'll find previous threads which will help you as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back