Cleaning Out Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy Westland

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This question has been argued in my house for a long time and it's time to settle it !, how often should you clean Guinea pigs out ?

My wee piggies are on fleece liners and we poop scoop them twice daily and fully change liner every 2nd to 3rd day. But they are in the livingroom so I defs don't want any piggy smell lol x

For my 2 pigs, in a 7 x 3 c and c cage I fully clean the cage and change the fleece every 2-3 days and I (and my mum when I'm at work) spot clean up to 20 times a day.
I change their bedding hay twice a day and I remove and replace any uneaten hay at the end of every day.

I know this may seem over the top to some people but I hate seeing them walking about their poo, especially when it gets stuck to their paws :doh: plus my mum and I are very ocd when it comes to the piggies :P

I have two boys living together and they are indoor Guinea Pigs. They are on sawdust and hay bedding.

For my 2 pigs, in a 7 x 3 c and c cage I fully clean the cage and change the fleece every 2-3 days and I (and my mum when I'm at work) spot clean up to 20 times a day.
I change their bedding hay twice a day and I remove and replace any uneaten hay at the end of every day.

I know this may seem over the top to some people but I hate seeing them walking about their poo, especially when it gets stuck to their paws :doh: plus my mum and I are very ocd when it comes to the piggies :P
Same here.... clean fresh hay morning & night....i love poo picking

Indoor piggies on fleece. Poop scoop at least twice per day, full fleece change every 3 days, hay trays (also poo and wee repositories) changed daily. Quite enough work for me.

Indoor piggies (x 3) living on Auboise in a 2 level hutch, with liberal hay everywhere!

A spot clean daily, fresh hay daily (the entire 150cm bottom level is stuffed with hay), and a full clean (removal of all bedding and hay) every 5 - 6 days.
It goes without saying that food dishes and water bottles are removed, washed and replaced at least once a day.

I have two boys living together and they are indoor Guinea Pigs. They are on sawdust and hay bedding.

Me too. I do a full clean out every third day - if I was to leave it an extra day I think it would be a bit whiffy, and as they share our living room, I don't want that.

I have two indoor pigs on paper-based bedding. I clean about once a week. I find the paper absorbs really well.

I have two outdoor girlies living on easibed in a 5ft two tier hutch.
I spot clean them three times every day and I change all their bedding once a week.

My three are outside free range shed pigs during the week, on Auboise the bed areas are spot cleaned every day and they get a full clean once a week. At the weekend they come inside on newspaper and hay an they get a full clean twice a day as newspaper is niffy!

I have 2 2x7 C&C cages. They get a full clean once a week. Twice a day sweeping, and every other day bedding area clean and change of vet bed (for my arthritic pig)

2 indoor piggies on fleece, I spot clean 2-3 times a day and a full clean every 3-4 days. :)

:D Six piggies living in pairs in three 4 X 5 cages and two pigs each in 3 X 4 cage. Poop sweep twice a day, change Pro-fleece bedding in hides every day, change Zorb bedding once a week, change fleece and towels on floor once a month.
I used to have Terry towels inside their fleece hide beds, but have changed to Zorb. Finding this is much less smelly and keeps drier for longer.

J6st to trusly gross you out, any stray "chocolate raisins" which find themselves on the floor are swiftly "hoovered up" by the dog ! Yuk
Haha one of my dogs is addicted to the 'chocolate raisins' and will even shove her head in the clean out bag and hutch itself to get them although she has tried to snatch a guinea pig before so I'm not too happy with her cleanup job anymore

J6st to trusly gross you out, any stray "chocolate raisins" which find themselves on the floor are swiftly "hoovered up" by the dog ! Yuk
oh dear i shouldn't be laughing :) as I have two dogs that seem to find Piggie poops a delicacy I'm thinking about putting some in their treat tin seeing as they like them so much

Spot cleaned everyday and cleaned out properly twice a week, one of the cages gets clean about three times some weeks because Storm drinks loads, not sure if it's due to his bladder and kidney stones, so the cage gets a tad soggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back