Cleaning My Pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenCupcake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay, so those that know me know I have a very spoiled piggie. I do floor time, cuddles, fresh food, and cage cleanings 1-2 times a day. His bedding is puppy pads then towel with paper bedding on top and some outdoor fabric that works very well at staying dry and clean. He has a hay trough, pellet bowl, water bottle and igloo. He gets at least 1 cup of veggies a day and a snack at night. Hay and pellets are free fed. He also had a hand towel for softness in the bottom of his pigloo and a small stuffed animal to cuddle with and a blanket. Don't worry I make sure he has plenty of room with no crowding. Also has a mirror on the side of his cage. So okay here is my problem. I do EVERYTHING I need to do for him and today he had a little bath time cause he was messy BUT I just (seconds ago) read something online about special cleaning of his genital area? I never heard of this in any research or guides or books and I am very upset I might have been neglecting him. He pees and poops fine. Doesn't smell at all, doesn't make noise when he goes bathroom, and nothing is showing. I see his belly every night when we "talk". He sits in my hand with his front paws on my other hand. Should I be doing something? If so what and how? He is a pretty good cleaner overall and I have personally seen him clean his own butt so idk what to do. HELP!

Okay. We have had quite a day. I learned to clean his anal area and penis. I clipped his nails. And we had a bath. A carrot and apple slice later we have calmed down. I got white goo out of my piggies bottom and he is mad at me but okay.
If he is pooing fine and normally you shouldnt have to clean out his anal sac. This is done in older boars that may become impacted. I give my boys a wipe " over" with a non scented baby wipe about once every 2 weeks if they whiff a little due to hormones but there is no need to dig around in their bottoms if they aren't having any problems down there.

If you watched a video where an american lady digs around in her piggies bum with a q-tip please don't do that if Sheldon is healthy. She was doing that in the video as her boar can't poo prop and gets a real dirty smelly bum. Also there are gentler and less invasive ways to do this if you ever have too. :)

Sheldon is adorable :)

Last edited:
I have a thing about that video! I know alot of people clean their boys bits suitably but that video makes me cringe as she is pretty rough! The look on the poor pigs face says it all.....

I understand! I am so terrified of hurting him. I wrapped him up and cuddled and rocked him and apologized for like 10 minutes lol! He doesn't seem upset. He laid down on me and rested so I know he was comfortable. I just worry way too much

Well. I noticed something odd in my piggies genital area today and did a small check. For the first time ever he had some of his paper bedding in his penis. I pulled it out and swiped the little bit out of his anal area. Why did this happen? Why now after I cleaned him the first time!

Well. I noticed something odd in my piggies genital area today and did a small check. For the first time ever he had some of his paper bedding in his penis. I pulled it out and swiped the little bit out of his anal area. Why did this happen? Why now after I cleaned him the first time!
Piggies wipe their bums across the floor and prob happened when he did that as their buns open right up. Why I use fleece as don't have to worry about that!

I know pigs and dogs are light years different, BUT, if a dog is rubbing his bum on the floor, lol I call it skiing lol. It means their glands are full, unless they just had a hair cut and it might itch. ( Now I know that pigs do it to mark which dogs do not) For my small dog Mimi her glands are located at 10&2 all dogs are located in that same time zone, like on a clock. I put a glove on place my thumb and finger at 10&2 and gently push in and squeeze them together a little from the outside. Pop go the glands, it smells horrible lol. Now I am not saying this is how it can be done for pigs, but I'm assuming they're probably it that same general area, if I am totally wrong please disregard everything I just said lol.

Pigs do it to scent my boys do it when they are together trying to establish who is boss. :)
I know pigs and dogs are light years different, BUT, if a dog is rubbing his bum on the floor, lol I call it skiing lol. It means their glands are full, unless they just had a hair cut and it might itch. ( Now I know that pigs do it to mark which dogs do not) For my small dog Mimi her glands are located at 10&2 all dogs are located in that same time zone, like on a clock. I put a glove on place my thumb and finger at 10&2 and gently push in and squeeze them together a little from the outside. Pop go the glands, it smells horrible lol. Now I am not saying this is how it can be done for pigs, but I'm assuming they're probably it that same general area, if I am totally wrong please disregard everything I just said lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back