Cleaning Fur On Abysininan Guineapigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a longhaired abysininan guineapig who tends to get wet fur near her bottom because of weeing. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to keep her clean.
Thank you

Hi, I also have a long haired piggy who would get dirty bum hairs. The first thing you should do is give her a nice trim. Ideally you want her bum hairs to be the shortest of all as this helps them keep clean, and just makes her more comfortable. Are you sure it's because of weeing? My long haired boy never got wet fur from that and to my understanding wet fur usually means they are sitting in their wee which may point to another issue. Give her a nice trim back there and wipe her with a warm wash cloth as she doesn't need a full bath if she just has a dirty bum.

Hi, I also have a long haired piggy who would get dirty bum hairs. The first thing you should do is give her a nice trim. Ideally you want her bum hairs to be the shortest of all as this helps them keep clean, and just makes her more comfortable. Are you sure it's because of weeing? My long haired boy never got wet fur from that and to my understanding wet fur usually means they are sitting in their wee which may point to another issue. Give her a nice trim back there and wipe her with a warm wash cloth as she doesn't need a full bath if she just has a dirty bum.

Thank you for your reply. I don't think she is sitting in her wee, it usually happens after she has eaten lot of grass and veg, maybe I'm giving her too much, but I don't think I am. I have tried to trim her hair around the bottom end but she isn't keen! I will give it another go and use a warm wash cloth as you have suggested. I know she isn't poorly she is doing all her normal things and is happy indeed. It is probably more of an issue for me than her..... many thanks again.

I've given her a good trim and wash today and she looks 100% happier

bless her, I've never met a piggy who has been happy with a bottom trim! I have had pigs that have done this as a one off but it can be an indicator of URI's, ovarian cysts and arthritis (of which I have witnessed all 3 over the years). Some conditions do not change the piggy (in the case of ovarian cysts there were no other symptoms/indicators at all for my piggy) so if it continues or gets any worse it might be worth getting a vet to check her over

bless her, I've never met a piggy who has been happy with a bottom trim! I have had pigs that have done this as a one off but it can be an indicator of URI's, ovarian cysts and arthritis (of which I have witnessed all 3 over the years). Some conditions do not change the piggy (in the case of ovarian cysts there were no other symptoms/indicators at all for my piggy) so if it continues or gets any worse it might be worth getting a vet to check her over
Yes I will check her out and I would definitely take her to the vet if I thought she was unwell. I have to say that since I trimmed the hair near her bottom there has been no repeat of wet fur. ☺

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back