cleaning cage when they're in season

Helen C

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my girls is having a rather strong season, so things are noisy right now, and their cage stinks to high heaven.
I assume (and hope) things will be quieter by the end of the day but what do I do about their cage? I was going to deep clean tomorrow anyway, but can I do it today ? Or will cleaning (and removing most of their scents) just make her start all over again? 🤣

One of my girls is having a rather strong season, so things are noisy right now, and their cage stinks to high heaven.
I assume (and hope) things will be quieter by the end of the day but what do I do about their cage? I was going to deep clean tomorrow anyway, but can I do it today ? Or will cleaning (and removing most of their scents) just make her start all over again? 🤣

Hi

Please wait until the season is over and let your piggies get on with and over the really messy part; that will likely happen within just a few hours. Most of the airborne pheromones will dissipate anyway. Just air the room for 5-10 minutes every few hours on a cold day.

Thank you! It hadn't been this bad in a while, I'm guessing the change of seasons is affecting her a little. 🍂

Thank you! It hadn't been this bad in a while, I'm guessing the change of seasons is affecting her a little. 🍂

Sows can have the odd stronger season. How old are yours now?

I'm glad I saw this post, as l have four bonded sows, Lunar who is the lead sow, who has been in season for nearly a month on and off, some day's are worse than others.
l had noticed, an increase in the smell, in their cage but put it down to their age and l do remember this happening on previous year's, at this time of the year.

My question was going to be, when do they stop having seasons? as she will be five in December.

Sue Blackman

Sows never stop having seasons, they aren't like human females who go through the menopause and stop being able to get pregnant naturally.

When sows seem to be in season constantly, it points to a medical issue such as hormonal ovarian cysts that might need treatment.

(It might be better to start a thread of your own if your sow's behaviour is becoming problematic and you'd like advice about it)

Thank you for your reply and advice.
She only has these really long ones, in Spring and Autumn, l lost one to ovarian cysts and haven't seen any signs, from her, that would suggest that, thankfully but will monitor her.

Thank you for your reply and advice.
She only has these really long ones, in Spring and Autumn, l lost one to ovarian cysts and haven't seen any signs, from her, that would suggest that, thankfully but will monitor her.
Ah ok, I've not heard of anything like those before, and never had any problems with cysts or unusual seasons with my sows, so don't know anything more I'm afraid. Others might have more relevant experience though..

She is very possessive, even though, l put enough for all of them, although, she mainly picks on the youngest, l have seen her humping her bonded mate, on her head 🙈🙈 she's a Sheba so quite a big girl and very confident.

Back