Cleaning Cage For The First Time What Should I Do With My Piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellowmummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have so many questions but just want the best for my boys. I am going to clean their cage completely on Tuesday night, at the moment all I have done is pick the worst out, I only got them on Saturday and they are still adjusting to their new home. They are 12 weeks old and still nervous, I am just wondering when I clean their cage will I be okay picking them up or will that stress them out? I have a indoor pen so after a quick cuddle was going to briefly put them in their while I clean, but I don't want them not to like me and be scared I am going to try and pick them up each time I open the cage. Any advice would be great!

Try not to worry. An indoor pen sounds fine as long as it is secure and they can't jump out. If you pop some hay, veg and hideys into the run it will help them feel more secure. You will probably find that they will just sit in their hideys as it is an unfamiliar environment but don't worry this is completely normal. If you pop a towel/ fleece over the top of the pen to give shelter they are more likely to come out.

You should be fine picking them up, if you have a carrier you could pop them into that to transport them to the pen.

If you have some sort of cuddle sack or carrier just usher them into that then pick that up with them inside if you don't want to scare them to much.. good luck

If you can usher them into a soft bed, or a tunnel (covering both ends with your hands) then they may find this a little stressful then picking them up with your hands. A secure area with plenty of hay will serve as a good, temporary pen

Thank you very much for all your replies its been very useful information and some great tips :)

I used to give mine to my son for a cuddle and clean them really fast (when they were tiny) now they help! I clean one half of the cage and they supervise and steal the brush and knock the bedding over and popcorn! they also nibble my hand if I am not doing it properly!

My previously nervous foster piggy is now fine in his indoor pen while I clean. I used to cover most of it with a blanket which made him feel really secure and he started to play in his tunnels and boxes. After several weeks he is a changed piggy and loves his playpen time, spending more time in the open and having a scamper about too. It is well worth persevering with, it is amazing how they adapt and learn that good things happen to them! He is now also perfectly happy being picked up,cuddled, groomed etc. Take your time and I wish you all happiness with your new piggywigs x

Suem that sounds very cute your piggie sounds very cheeky!
Auntyc thanks for that I am going very slowly with them and they seem to be showing interest esp when I leave food they don't take food from me yet but they certainly smell it! I was very nervous about getting them out to clean them but I think I will just go for it, I know they are not going to like me picking them up the first time but I know they can't not be cleaned, luckily my two children are being very good and no that they can't touch the piggies yet so were all doing lots of taking to them :)

Just a quick update I managed to get the boys out fine they walked around their pen then hid I had them out for 45mins and I am happy they seemed to enjoy it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back