Cleaning A Piggy + Photos Of Sheldon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ati Ebrahimi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I read someone talked about bathing their cavy, but I read almost everywhere that you are not supposed to to get your cavy wet at all , maybe 3 times a year if you must! am I wrong?

also saw some dry shampoos for guinea pigs, is it a good thing? should I try them?

photo_2016-08-24_12-06-53.webp

photo_2016-08-24_12-06-49.webp

There's different opinions on that.

A lot of people only wash them when absolutely necessary, like a medical reason. I rarely wash my two, Toast has has a could of bum baths lately as she's been ill and got herself covered on poo but apart from that I leave them be.

They have quite delicate skin and they wash themselves anyway so I think the general consensus is only if needed. Plus I've yet to see a piggy who actually likes having a bath :P

Last edited:
We only wash if needed medically. There is no need for dry shampoo, piggies skin can be sensitive so I wouldn't use anything.

Sheldon is stunning by the way, what an absolute cutie

I read someone talked about bathing their cavy, but I read almost everywhere that you are not supposed to to get your cavy wet at all , maybe 3 times a year if you must! am I wrong?

also saw some dry shampoos for guinea pigs, is it a good thing? should I try them?

View attachment 51358

View attachment 51359

Sheldon is very cute!

Generally, it is now recommended to not bathe your guinea pig just for the sake of bathing them as shampoos can be harsh on the skin and unbalanced the natural skin protection; dry shampoo is even worse. If your piggy is very messy at the back end for some reason (boars and long-haired guinea pigs are usually more prone to it, as are older guinea pigs that cannot clean themselves anymore), then sorting them out with a little bum bath with hand warm water usually does the trick. my long-hairs are generally kept cut short in the area they tend to mess up most.
While there is the occasional guinea pig that enjoys water and bathing, the vast majority doesn't.

I only bathe with shampoo for medical reasons (fungal or lice); piggies usually tidy themselves up within a couple a couple of days anyway.
Here are our bathing recommendations: How To Bathe Guinea Pigs - Including Ears & Grease Glands

I too only bath my piggies for medical reasons ie lice I give bum baths to my long haired piggies but that's it, they really don't need it :D Sheldon is beautiful xx

Sheldon is very cute!

Generally, it is now recommended to not bathe your guinea pig just for the sake of bathing them as shampoos can be harsh on the skin and unbalanced the natural skin protection; dry shampoo is even worse. If your piggy is very messy at the back end for some reason (boars and long-haired guinea pigs are usually more prone to it, as are older guinea pigs that cannot clean themselves anymore), then sorting them out with a little bum bath with hand warm water usually does the trick. my long-hairs are generally kept cut short in the area they tend to mess up most.
While there is the occasional guinea pig that enjoys water and bathing, the vast majority doesn't.

I only bathe with shampoo for medical reasons (fungal or lice); piggies usually tidy themselves up within a couple a couple of days anyway.
Here are our bathing recommendations: How To Bathe Guinea Pigs - Including Ears & Grease Glands

Thanks! :)

Is sheldon a male? I have a 6 year old male, and I clean his genital area often. Its a little gross... well actually a lot gross, but crust, and yucky film will collect around his balls- not sure if that is the right term! But I gently press just above his area, and his penis, and balls pop out- I give them a good wash, and then he is good! It smells horrific, but it needs to be done. I do it every couple of weeks- the more you do it the more you will get used to it. Its important to keep this area clean so he doesn't get an infection, so although you may not like it- you have to do it! :- ) Good Luck! :- )

Is sheldon a male? I have a 6 year old male, and I clean his genital area often. Its a little gross... well actually a lot gross, but crust, and yucky film will collect around his balls- not sure if that is the right term! But I gently press just above his area, and his penis, and balls pop out- I give them a good wash, and then he is good! It smells horrific, but it needs to be done. I do it every couple of weeks- the more you do it the more you will get used to it. Its important to keep this area clean so he doesn't get an infection, so although you may not like it- you have to do it! :- ) Good Luck! :- )

Yes he's a male but he's only 3 months old. I guess I should clean his genital too.

I have to bathe Tilly's rear end about once a week due to bladder problems. She hates it and I put the minimum amount of water in the sink and get it over with as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back