• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Claw clipping - how often?

• Thread starter Thread starter swsuey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

swsuey

I'm looking after my neighbour's piggie for a fortnight. She's an old lady of 6 (the piggie :laugh:) I've noticed her back claws are well clipped but her front claws are starting to curl round like rams horns, poor thing :(
If I start trimming them gently, how long do I need to leave them for the quick to go back so I can trim them a little further 98)
I'd love her to have perfectly manicured feet by the time her mummy comes home although I think the damage may already be done to her toes. :'(

You can cut them until you get to the "quick" which is the blood supply in the nail. If you cut the quick then you will make her bleed. I'm not sure if you'll be able to cut them that much more in the fortnight, but maybe you can pop round to your neighbours every fortnight or so to make sure they're kept a good length? :)

Thanks for that.
I had hoped I could do them more frequently. I've read somewhere that when you clip the claws the quick recedes, I just wasn't sure how quickly.
Typically, she has black claws too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back