Classic Plastic Water Bottles - Caution About The Instructions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileyface:)

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is a great bottle and have two large ones for my boys. Having said that....

the other evening I refilled both bottles at once (normally I do one in the morning and one at night - (don't know why I changed that habit that evening?!) and the next morning noticed that no water had been drunk from either of them - I took them out and gave them a good shake to let out some water and when I put them back the boys went nuts for a good long drink.

I am so sure though that the instructions said to fill them totally to the top - I am a bit OCD about instructions and am sure that this is why I did this. :mal:

I found a thread on a hamster forum which said they had this problem and so contacted the manufacturer who recommended leaving an inch or so without water before putting on the cap - and I have had no problems since.

Just wanted to flag this as I thought I was doing the right thing filling to the very top to create that non-drip vacuum seal, but in hindsight I'd rather the water dribble everywhere so the boys can have a drink :roll:

Going to check the instruction again when I next buy a new one as would be interesting to see whether its just my bad reading skills or the manufacturer's recommendations that caused this.

I also fill mine to the top, but my lot have no problems drinking and I always have half empty bottles. ;)

Are you talking about the standard style (cheap) plastic bottles? I always fill those to the top. Had a week or so over the summer where I was a bit worried about their intake as very little, if anything, was gone from the bottle. I wonder if that was why!

I always thought you should fill them to the top or the leak! Mine seem to drink ok! Worth bearing in mind though!

I noticed my girls had drank hardly any out of the bottle one day.The ball bearing was stuck.Now whenever I fill them I check the ball bearing is moving properly

was so odd as both bottles weren't giving out water - maybe its because they were both new and they had some super vacuum thing going on? - I know the air pressure if its a hot or cold day can affect the pressure too.

no problems since I stopped filling below the top, so hopefully if one fails the other should work :) hopefully!, lol

My girls have the most horrendous trouble getting water, they bite at the bottles and shake them, it really worries me, the classic water bottle is the 4th type of bottle I have used. I had the grey ones that come with the cage(leaked) , one HUGE water bottle(didn't seem to work) and a sort drippy thing that was crap.

Tonight when I do their water I shall leave a gap and see if it makes a difference.

I use flip top water bottles so never fill to the top. But I do worry about possibilities like the little ball getting stuck, so after I've filled a water bottle, I always test that water will come out by gently pressing a piece of kitchen roll against the silver spout. If the paper is damp it's OK. Peanut Butter invariably snatches a piece while I'm pressing against the spout as he loves chewing on paper.

My girls have the most horrendous trouble getting water, they bite at the bottles and shake them, it really worries me, the classic water bottle is the 4th type of bottle I have used. I had the grey ones that come with the cage(leaked) , one HUGE water bottle(didn't seem to work) and a sort drippy thing that was crap.

Tonight when I do their water I shall leave a gap and see if it makes a difference.

It's quite possible that they just like playing with the bottle, one of mine used to (before I switched to a bowl) and would empty the water all over himself and then popcorn around like mad.

As for the filling issue I've never had a problem with water not coming out (only leaking!) but I always push the ball with my finger so I know it's working and to stop leaks.

I have them bottle and 2 seem to drink a lot and the other 2 not so much. (there in seperate hutches, in in each hutch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back