Cicadas?

brilapiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okay, hear me out from the USA east coast. I am really interested in everyone's opinions hah! So, this is what is coming up:
1713195257047.png
Cicadas! From what I've read so far their damage to crops varies. I'm thinking about hay... (and also just started watching 1923, haha) I usually vary the brands of hay I buy but most of them claim to be sourced from "American farmers." Now, yes, some brands like Small Pet Select specify that they are from the Pacific Northwest (other side of the country) which won't be affected by these broods. I guess my question is, were this to actually affect distribution (hello Covid) how would you guys plan to take care of your piggies? During covid I was planting veggies, getting a green house, blanching and freezing things, but what about hay? They go through so much of it, and it's not viable to grow/process everywhere. Just thinking out loud! 😅

I used to live in Flordia, those things were everywhere as well. I can not imagine having as many as there are in the red zones. I rescue earwigs/beatles/spiders/etc. They always end up in my house because they are just simple little bugs so I'll release them. Those things are just crazy though! I believe they can get up to 8 inches long! They are not harmful directly to humans, but imagine trying to catch a large, flying, and annoying bug that's as loud as a lawn mower! 😅 I do wonder what tactics farmers use to keep them away though.

I never thought of this! Didn't even know Small Pet Select was in the PNW....that's my go-to hay brand. I love cicadas! Not in an affected area here in PA. We only had a handfull from Brood X a few years ago too.

It's never a bad idea to have extra hay! Some
habits from covid stuck with me. I get the 25# boxes from SPS about every 6-7 weeks. If I had room to store it Id have an extra box for sure.

Back