• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chronic respiratory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicano

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sukie has a chronic respiratory problem, which she has had on and off for about a year now. What happens is that she gets clogged up with mucus and makes a terrible noise as she breathes. It all started when she had an anaesthetic and an x ray (for something else!) and gradually (over several months) increased in frequency. Eventually the vet gave me a nebuliser (with some sort of antibiotic to put in the nebuliser) to borrow to try to get rid of any underlying stubborn infection, and some Bisolvin to reduce the mucus down, and she improved.

She went several months without problems, but it is gradually increasing in frequency again. Every time it happens I give Bisolvin, but I guess I may have to borrow the nebuliser again.

I just wondered whether anyone had ever had piggies with a chronic problem like this? I'm never sure what has set it off.

yes after her op for an abcess under her neck, Daisy had exactly the same problem, she was never the same after that, her respiratry problems were treated with antibiotics, but she sadly died at 6 months. I wish now they could of drained it without an anasthetic. Cause it all stemmed from that op.

Mmmmm you've hit a point there, ..... Duke has breathing probs at times no idea why, but it all stems from him having so many aneas :( for abscess' etc.. and toofie probs... interesting, i'll look into this, will ask my vet when we go on monday for his last post op visit.

Good luck Sukie :smitten: :smitten: i hope you can find a solution to her breathing problems :-\

I've always insisted it was because of her op, as she didn't recover really well and I had to feed her critical care to get her to eat, antibiotics really didn't do anything.She had no problems before her op.
Bless her (miss you daisy)
Good luck Sukie big hugs and get well soon

My Floss had bad respiratory problems last year and despite all I tried I had to let her go.... X-rays showed lumps in her lungs which caused the fluid/mucus build-ups and eventually it was all just too much for her :(

Have you tried a steam tent? it's a few drops of olbas in boiling water for about 10-15 mins either next to the cage, or I used to put Floss in a carrier with a towel over both for the best results. This can help to ease the mucus along with the ab's, bisolvin etc... Floss had a couple of steriod injections too which gave her a boost.

Chronic/recurrent respiratory infections can also be indicative of heart problems - did the vet look and see if her heart was enlarged on the x-ray?

Thanks for this - really helpful. :) I am really interested in the link to anaesthetic, as I didn't know if that was a coincedence or not, and it sounds like it wasn't. :-\ :o I will definitely try the Olbas steam treatment.

The heart looked OK on the x ray, but it was a fair while ago now (about a year).

This place is really nice - thanks again! O0

Oh poor girl, bless her. I hope you can get/do something that helps. I can't think of anything that will help that hasn't been said already. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back