• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chronic Pain - When is it time to PTS?

al34ex

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi y'all - it's been a while since I posted, and one of mine, Cora (gray and white - photo attached), has really been through a lot during the last few months, and I'm really considering if putting her to sleep is the kindest thing I can do for her.

I got Cora from a pet store in September 2020 (I now know that there are rescues a few hours away from me and I'll adopt from now on). Since I got her, Cora started developing digestive issues (mainly soft stools and squealing when pooping) in January 2021, ultimately leading my very cavy savvy exotic vet to try a few things:

1. Eliminated veggies entirely - this helped to firm up the poops a bit. Cora really couldn't handle much veg, and I've kept her on limited veggies (and extra vitamin C supplement) since
  2. Treated for UTI 3 times - even had a culture done to make sure the antibiotic we were using was effective. Also ruled out stones with an x ray.
  3. Cora was spayed in June 2021 - she was always a bit feisty and the vet thought she might have some hormonal issues. This spay helped for a few months and she seemed more comfortable. She was also separated from my other 2 girls at this time since she was consistently not getting along with one of them (pulling clumps of hair and being aggressive) - they are separated by cage bars in a split 2x8 CC cage, so she can still interact with them.

Then, in August 2021, her painful pooping and digestive issues got worse, leading me to take her back and forth to the vet multiple times. In September 2021, the vet did a full body x-ray (previously had only looked at lower body for stones/bladder issues), and found that she had a spinal compression fracture, and the vet said that this likely happened before I got her since the bones had fused back together (picture attached - right 2nd and 3rd ribs from the bottom. You can also see where her spine is crooked. Ignore the 4 little "sticks" around her body - those are from her spay surgery).

We started her (again) on Metacam, and we also added in Gabapentin for nerve pain, specifically. The medication seemed to really help for a few weeks, though her digestion was always back and forth, and I always had Cisapride and Critical Care on-hand in case she needed some additional help moving her gut along.

Then, in November 2021, she became incredibly bloated to the point where she was not moving at all. I took her into the emergency vet and she stayed 5 nights in the hospital. She was diagnosed with Roundworm via fecal sample, which apparently is very rare in guinea pigs. For context, I never take my piggies outside, nor have they ever met another species of animal like a dog/cat. The vet again said that she's likely had the Roundworm since before I got her. She was started on a round of Panacur (de-worming medication), gut motility drugs, as well as her usual pain meds to keep her going. When she came home from the hospital, she did great for about 5 days: running around, pooping relatively normally, and having great energy. Then began to do poorly again.

So, I started her back on the Panacur again just in case she hadn't gotten rid of all the Roundworm with the first round, and kept her on all the other medications. When I took her back to the vet, the vet told me that she really thinks a lot of these digestion issues and her pain issues overall really stem from her compression fracture. When her nerve pain flares, she has a hard time passing poops.

When I took her home after that vet visit 2 weeks ago, she did great for another 5 days, then did poorly again, then did great for 5 days, then is now poorly again. When she is not doing well, she is clearly in pain: shaking, chewing on her wooden house obsessively, and drinking a lot of water.

At this point, the only diagnostic test left that I'm willing to do is a blood test, just to see if we've missed anything else, but that requires some anesthesia. In her current state, I don't think anesthesia is a good idea. I have another vet appointment tomorrow morning, and I am really now thinking that the kindest option is for me to put her to sleep. We have tried so many medications, multiple pain management options, and run so many tests... I don't think it's fair to her to keep her in pain, just in the hopes that she gets better for a few days, and then declines again.

My vet agrees that it's not wrong for me to think about humane euthanasia, especially since this her spine fracture is not curable, and the pain management options we've used have all been exhausted.

Is there anything I'm missing here or other steps I can take? I don't want to sound selfish, but this has also taken a great toll on my and my mental health, watching her do better and then decline every few days, nearly dying multiple times due to digestive issues, bloat, and pain. I'm very lucky to have supportive parents who will pay the vet bills, because Cora alone has cost me over $3,000 USD just in the past 6 months.

I hate watching her suffer like this, and this is a really hard conversation for me to have - she is the most affectionate out of all of my pigs, and has the biggest, sassiest personality. I love her so much.

Thank you for reading. Any guidance or support is appreciated.

Attachments

• Cora and Charlie.webp
    Cora and Charlie.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Cora Spine.webp
    Cora Spine.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 22
I am so very sorry that you’re in this situation.
You clearly love Cora very much.
It’s a tough decision to make and knowing when PTS is the right decision isn’t easy.
Go with your heart.
From what I’ve read here your decision will definitely be made out of love, not financial consideration.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

I am so very sorry that you’re in this situation.
You clearly love Cora very much.
It’s a tough decision to make and knowing when PTS is the right decision isn’t easy.
Go with your heart.
From what I’ve read here your decision will definitely be made out of love, not financial consideration.
Holding you in my heart ♥️
Thank you so much ❤️ This is so awful - I want to make the best decision for her.

Maybe you could try making a decision and then just live with it for a few hours.
If it feels comfortable then it’s probably the right decision.
If it doesn’t feel comfortable then make a different one.
You know Cora best so I’m sure you will know what is right for her.
Hugs :hug:

Hi y'all - it's been a while since I posted, and one of mine, Cora (gray and white - photo attached), has really been through a lot during the last few months, and I'm really considering if putting her to sleep is the kindest thing I can do for her.

I got Cora from a pet store in September 2020 (I now know that there are rescues a few hours away from me and I'll adopt from now on). Since I got her, Cora started developing digestive issues (mainly soft stools and squealing when pooping) in January 2021, ultimately leading my very cavy savvy exotic vet to try a few things:

1. Eliminated veggies entirely - this helped to firm up the poops a bit. Cora really couldn't handle much veg, and I've kept her on limited veggies (and extra vitamin C supplement) since
  2. Treated for UTI 3 times - even had a culture done to make sure the antibiotic we were using was effective. Also ruled out stones with an x ray.
  3. Cora was spayed in June 2021 - she was always a bit feisty and the vet thought she might have some hormonal issues. This spay helped for a few months and she seemed more comfortable. She was also separated from my other 2 girls at this time since she was consistently not getting along with one of them (pulling clumps of hair and being aggressive) - they are separated by cage bars in a split 2x8 CC cage, so she can still interact with them.

Then, in August 2021, her painful pooping and digestive issues got worse, leading me to take her back and forth to the vet multiple times. In September 2021, the vet did a full body x-ray (previously had only looked at lower body for stones/bladder issues), and found that she had a spinal compression fracture, and the vet said that this likely happened before I got her since the bones had fused back together (picture attached - right 2nd and 3rd ribs from the bottom. You can also see where her spine is crooked. Ignore the 4 little "sticks" around her body - those are from her spay surgery).

We started her (again) on Metacam, and we also added in Gabapentin for nerve pain, specifically. The medication seemed to really help for a few weeks, though her digestion was always back and forth, and I always had Cisapride and Critical Care on-hand in case she needed some additional help moving her gut along.

Then, in November 2021, she became incredibly bloated to the point where she was not moving at all. I took her into the emergency vet and she stayed 5 nights in the hospital. She was diagnosed with Roundworm via fecal sample, which apparently is very rare in guinea pigs. For context, I never take my piggies outside, nor have they ever met another species of animal like a dog/cat. The vet again said that she's likely had the Roundworm since before I got her. She was started on a round of Panacur (de-worming medication), gut motility drugs, as well as her usual pain meds to keep her going. When she came home from the hospital, she did great for about 5 days: running around, pooping relatively normally, and having great energy. Then began to do poorly again.

So, I started her back on the Panacur again just in case she hadn't gotten rid of all the Roundworm with the first round, and kept her on all the other medications. When I took her back to the vet, the vet told me that she really thinks a lot of these digestion issues and her pain issues overall really stem from her compression fracture. When her nerve pain flares, she has a hard time passing poops.

When I took her home after that vet visit 2 weeks ago, she did great for another 5 days, then did poorly again, then did great for 5 days, then is now poorly again. When she is not doing well, she is clearly in pain: shaking, chewing on her wooden house obsessively, and drinking a lot of water.

At this point, the only diagnostic test left that I'm willing to do is a blood test, just to see if we've missed anything else, but that requires some anesthesia. In her current state, I don't think anesthesia is a good idea. I have another vet appointment tomorrow morning, and I am really now thinking that the kindest option is for me to put her to sleep. We have tried so many medications, multiple pain management options, and run so many tests... I don't think it's fair to her to keep her in pain, just in the hopes that she gets better for a few days, and then declines again.

My vet agrees that it's not wrong for me to think about humane euthanasia, especially since this her spine fracture is not curable, and the pain management options we've used have all been exhausted.

Is there anything I'm missing here or other steps I can take? I don't want to sound selfish, but this has also taken a great toll on my and my mental health, watching her do better and then decline every few days, nearly dying multiple times due to digestive issues, bloat, and pain. I'm very lucky to have supportive parents who will pay the vet bills, because Cora alone has cost me over $3,000 USD just in the past 6 months.

I hate watching her suffer like this, and this is a really hard conversation for me to have - she is the most affectionate out of all of my pigs, and has the biggest, sassiest personality. I love her so much.

Thank you for reading. Any guidance or support is appreciated.

Hi

I am ever so sorry that your piggy journey is such a sad one. You are a very caring owner.

You may this guide here helpful, which addresses specifically many of the dilemmas and considerations involved with the situation you are sadly finding yourself in. I hope that it will help you to make any decisions which only you as the owner can make with a clearer mind if not with an easier heart. The pain of the loss is never less but letting go can be easier when you know that you are making the right decision at the right time for your piggy and for yourself. There is a grey zone where there is no right or wrong as long as any decision is being made with your piggy's welfare coming before your own heartbreak and fear of loss. Financial considerations do have their legitimate place as well after you have done what you could. It is always so much more difficult when the decision is not taken out of your hands by events because the full weight of your responsibility as a loving owner is resting on you.

Here is the link: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

My thoughts are with you.

I don’t have any experience of these issues. Just wanted to say I’m thinking of you at this sad time. It’s not easy making the decision to pts. I had to have my sixteen and a half year old dog pts two weeks ago. It’s the hardest thing I have ever done. Take care ❤️

Hi

I am ever so sorry that your piggy journey is such a sad one. You are a very caring owner.

You may this guide here helpful, which addresses specifically many of the dilemmas and considerations involved with the situation you are sadly finding yourself in. I hope that it will help you to make any decisions which only you as the owner can make with a clearer mind if not with an easier heart. The pain of the loss is never less but letting go can be easier when you know that you are making the right decision at the right time for your piggy and for yourself. There is a grey zone where there is no right or wrong as long as any decision is being made with your piggy's welfare coming before your own heartbreak and fear of loss. Financial considerations do have their legitimate place as well after you have done what you could. It is always so much more difficult when the decision is not taken out of your hands by events because the full weight of your responsibility as a loving owner is resting on you.

Here is the link: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

My thoughts are with you.
Thank you so much. Your words and this post really resonated with me. I’ve done so much for her and now I feel like I need to make this last, really tough decision for her. It’s so wonderful to have a great community for support on here. ❤️

I don’t have any experience of these issues. Just wanted to say I’m thinking of you at this sad time. It’s not easy making the decision to pts. I had to have my sixteen and a half year old dog pts two weeks ago. It’s the hardest thing I have ever done. Take care ❤️
Thank you so much. It really is an awfully tough decision. This is the first piggy I’ve had to think about this with.

You are clearly a dedicated owner working with an experienced vet.
It is such a difficult situation and sometimes despite everything we try there are problems that can't easily be solved.

Remember you know Cora best.
Take your cues from her. Whatever you end up deciding with be the right decision for her.

You have done all you can for Cora and the decision to send her to the Rainbow Bridge will be made out of love if that is what you feel is best for her. Sending hugs at this difficult time.

How are you feeling today @al34ex ?
Thank you for checking in - I have decided that it’s time for Cora to cross the Rainbow Bridge. She is in decent spirits today, but I can tell that the pain is still there and will continue to be a burden for her. Her appointment is in 30 minutes.

Thank you all for keeping me and Cora in your thoughts.

Thank you for checking in - I have decided that it’s time for Cora to cross the Rainbow Bridge. She is in decent spirits today, but I can tell that the pain is still there and will continue to be a burden for her. Her appointment is in 30 minutes.

Thank you all for keeping me and Cora in your thoughts.
That is a very hard decision to make. You are sending Cora to the Rainbow Bridge after she has had a lovely day chatting and interacting with her friends. She will be out of pain very soon and popcorning and in her prime once more at The Rainbow Bridge. The hardest decision is one made out of love for your friend Cora.

That is a very hard decision to make. You are sending Cora to the Rainbow Bridge after she has had a lovely day chatting and interacting with her friends. She will be out of pain very soon and popcorning and in her prime once more at The Rainbow Bridge. The hardest decision is one made out of love for your friend Cora.
Thank you - she hasn’t had veggies for over 6 months due to her digestive issues, but today, she gets what she wants ❤️

On our way to the vet now

Here’s a video of her and her veg earlier today:

Cora and Veg

Sending you hugs. Such a difficult decision to have to make, but one made with love is never wrong.

Cora has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. She ate bell pepper on the exam table until the end. I’m very glad that her final memories were peaceful and happy ones with me, a wonderful vet, and veggies.

Thank you all for your kindness and support

❤️

Holding you in my heart ❤️
Cora was so lucky to have had her home with you.
Be gentle with yourself and give yourself space to grieve.

Cora has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. She ate bell pepper on the exam table until the end. I’m very glad that her final memories were peaceful and happy ones with me, a wonderful vet, and veggies.

Thank you all for your kindness and support

❤️
I am so sorry. I think you made the right kindest decision for her. We have had to pick the times to let some of our girls go so I understand how you feel.
Be kind to yourself x

Sleep well little one
x x

Thank you all. I brought Cora back to see Charlie and Gigi (my other 2 piggies) for a few hours after she passed. They groomed her for a bit, licked her feet, and then went back to munching on their hay and some pea flakes.

I just got back from dropping Cora off at the vet again so she can have a private cremation. It was a tough day, but I know I was the only one who could make this decision for her - it was the right time.

Thank you all again for all your love and support ❤️

Charlie and Gigi have said their goodbyes to their friend and understand what's happened to Cora so they won't wonder where she's gone. It's important for piggies to understand too.

Back