Choosing a new companion for my female GP

Piggydreams

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a female GP who used to live in a cage next to a male GP. Due to a lack of vets experts with guinea pigs in my city I didn't want to take any risks neutering him so they lived side by side. Last night I lost my male to a URI that sprung up really suddenly and he passed within 12 hours after showing symptoms despite receiving immediate medical attention. It was really sudden and shocking and I'm still taking time to process it.

Now my female is alone and she's still young (around 1.5 years) so I do intend to get a female companion for her. The problem is we don't have any GP rescues in my country, so we have to get them from a pet store. Pet stores don't really provide bonding sessions, you just get to choose a pig and take him/her home. so there's no way to know which one would be the most compatible with my guinea pig. I really don't want her to live in a cage alone again so is there a way I can make sure the new female would get along with her?
Also, what are the chances of two female guinea pigs not getting along together?

I’m sorry for your loss

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to make them compatible - whether they get on and are compatible is entirely down the piggies.

It is important you make sure you follow the correct bonding procedure though and that is that you must put them on neutral territory to carry out the introduction. The guide below explains how to carry out a bonding.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Back