Chewing....

LynnFin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello my two beautiful guinea pigs have started to chew the plastic tubes I have for them. They have had them since we got them two months ago, and it's only been the past few days that they have started to chew them. I'd like to know if this is going to hurt them? And you hat can I give them to chew? I know they need to chew at things to help keep their teeth in good order, but not sure what's best to give them. Thank you 😊

Attachments

• 17188164718013974580831427814525.webp
    17188164718013974580831427814525.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
Plastic is probably not a good idea. You can get some safe chew toys for their teeth at pet stores or online like apple wood, etc. I would remove the plastic tubing and get some toys from a reputable source where you live.

The only thing which is going to help their teeth is eating hay and fresh grass
You can get willow and other wooden items
for them to play with but large loose piles of hay with their daily veg mixed in is great entertainment.
I’d not use anything plastic

Thank you. Can you recommend any toys that you have? I don't want them to get bored. I have seen wooden puzzle boards for foraging for food. Are these any good? Sorry for going off topic.

My boys have a puzzle, they like it and they chew on it, too. I always have three toys in the cage and they are always in a different position in the morning so I know they are playing with them. I don't know what is available in your country, but I have apple wood, sea grass, and what looks like rope but is made for guinea pigs.

Thank you. I can get rosewood, sea grass and Timothy club tunnels and toys. Thank you.

Sorry another question. Is it ok to change the bits in thier cage regularly?

Thank you. I can get rosewood, sea grass and Timothy club tunnels and toys. Thank you.

Sorry another question. Is it ok to change the bits in thier cage regularly?

A lot of commercial toys get ignored so don’t be surprised if they aren’t as interested as you hope they might be!
The best enrichment is mental stimulation in the form of foraging and that of having a companion.
I never buy commercial toys. They have their regular tunnels and hides but also get cardboard boxes with holes cut in

Cage change - yes it’s ok but it rather depends on the piggies and how territorial they are. For a lot it is just exciting for them but for others can bring about territory and dominance issues if too much changes.
For example, for teen boars in particular, changing the cage furniture or layout will constitute a change in territory which can set them off in reestablishing their relationship (can happen in some pairs if you simply clean too much) and an increase in dominance for up to two weeks.

Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

Back