Chewing on house

biggiebean

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
Ever since Oliver has gotten better we’ve noticed once he goes back in his cage he goes to his house and starts chewing on it. He’ll kick it around, gnaw.
Is this normal behavior? It’s like he’s throwing a fit for not getting his way. If someone greets him and doesn’t give him a treat or food right away he does it too.

Anyone else’s piggy do this? Also he doesn’t like chew toys, none of my boys do. They have them and they don’t use them. They only play with their houses. 😭

My piggy likes chewing on houses to. I'm pretty sure this behavior is normal.
I guess they just like the texture (especially of cardboard houses).
Piggies can get a little bossy sometimes. If he is annoyed and not chewing for fun, he might also make unhappy noises like teeth chattering.

This is quite normal. Piggies do chew and explore with their mouths.

Most piggies will ignore chew toys though. They’re not something a lot of owners bother with.

My piggy likes chewing on houses to. I'm pretty sure this behavior is normal.
I guess they just like the texture (especially of cardboard houses).
Piggies can get a little bossy sometimes. If he is annoyed and not chewing for fun, he might also make unhappy noises like teeth chattering.
I’m just nervous because it’s plastic I removed it for now until he gets a wooden chew toy. And you mentioned cardboard can I give him toilet paper rolls to chew on?

Plastic houses aren’t always ideal as they can sometimes condensate inside. Plus you don’t want any hides which only have one exit.

They can chew on plain cardboard so you can stuff toilet roll tubes with hay to encourage hay intake rather than eating lots of cardboard.
You should cut toilet roll tubes lengthways so they don’t pose any risk of them trying to get their heads inside (unlikely in an larger adult piggy)

Plastic houses aren’t always ideal as they can sometimes condensate inside. Plus you don’t want any hides which only have one exit.

They can chew on plain cardboard so you can stuff toilet roll tubes with hay to encourage hay intake rather than eating lots of cardboard.
You should cut toilet roll tubes lengthways so they don’t pose any risk of them trying to get their heads inside (unlikely in an larger adult piggy)
Just made one to put in his cage, he’s a pit weary of it hopefully he likes it 🥰

You can make the best houses out of cardboard boxes, just cut out two doorways. My lot love them and once they are soiled just replace with a new one

So far he doesn’t seem to be liking it 😭 but I know it takes time to adjust to things like that. A friend of mine gifted him a wooden log hidey that he chewed on till it was nothing. I ordered him a new one. Should be on Friday.

None of mine have ever been interested in any toys.
The only thing they will chew is a carrot cottage or hay cube

Back