• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chest Infection-Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
One of my guinea pigs has her third chest infection in 6 months. The last bout being three weeks ago.
It clears up after about 6 Baytril injections, but i just don't know what is causing it.

I am thinking maybe the vet needs to do some tests....

Mine have either a course of Baytril (0.4ml x2 daily) or a course of Septrin which I give. They don't have injections. Antibiotics should be given for at least 10 days and at that rate in order for them to work. Perhaps the symptoms are being supressed but not going?

I would ask for an oral course of Baytril/Septrin, Septrin is the drug of choice and as she has had Baytril might be best for yours :)

She had 0.2ml oral Baytril twice daily for 3 days with no improvement during the first infection. Then the vet switched to the injections which cleared up the infection after 5 injections.

I just hate seeing her like it, she is going to the vet tomorrow where i will request oral Septrin O0

I don't know how big she is but if she's over 2 pound then I would want 0.4ml x2 daily to get to the infection and 3 days isn't enough. One injection to kick start things maybe if they're really bad, but you need to have a proper course or it will just look like its clear- same as in humans, which is why we're always told to 'finish the course' (which in guineas is 10 days minimum). It sounds like it didn't really clear up?

If she has mucus on her chest she'll need Bisolvon to move it before the antibiotics can work, I've found this stuff great in conjuction with Septrin :)

Sorry i didn't explain very well, after 3 days she hadn't got any better so we went to the injections which she had for 6 days. So in total she had 9 days of antibiotics. That was in July.

Three weeks ago it flared up again, i suggetsed to the vet (different one) that we go straight to injections as the oral didn't work last time. She agreed that it would be best, she had 5 injections which obviously didn't clear up the infection.

What is Bisolvon?

Oh and she weighs over a kilo so thats over 2 pound (isn't it?! sorry rubbish at conversions!)........

No, didn't get that first time around at all LOL!
Yeah, over 2 pound :) I wouldn't expect her to necessarily get better after three days and especially if she needed Bisolvon but you don't know :) I'd guess this is a flare up of the last one which didn't clear up.

Bisolvon is a white powder for cats (mainly) its a decongestant and gets rid of mucus so the antibiotics can do their stuff. Its not always needed though :) If you do need it give it by syringe:)

Oh your poor piggie, it's so difficult when they get these infections and to clear them up can take quite awhile.
I agree with Karen you need to up the dose, our piggie is just on the 1000g mark and when he takes his baytril it is 0.4ml morning and night via syringe. He also has a probiotic to help with the gut as meds can really upset them :(
We'll have our paws crossed for your little piggie and sending lots of healing wheeks :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

btw is your piggie still eating and drinking normally? you may have to supplement or hand feed the piggie also, to keep up their strength O0

I'll arm myself with this info when i go to the vets tomorrow. The first vet i saw no longer works at the surgery. The two new vets are lovely but i'm not sure how much they know :-\

I wish i could find a decent piggie vet...

Thank you for your help, i will update you tomrrow when i have been to the vets :)

Yea she is still functioning as normal. The first time around (July) she spent about 9 days seperated from the herd whilst i syringe fed her and monitored her.

Which was nice in a way because she previously was so skittish, you couldn't handle her at all, now she will eat out of my hand. Shame it took an illness for her to trust me though.

I will keep you all posted ;)

You rarely find good piggie vets, but they are there to be encouraged :) Just find one that will listen to you (you have to .listen too, they are very clever people :) ) and you're half way there.

One of my pigs is very prone to chest infestions. She was on baytril for ages and it wasn't helping her at all, so i told then vet and he told me to try sudafed 0.4ml a day i did this for a week and it has completely gone now. It was amazing and she liked the taste.

Sudafed works in the same way as Bisolvon, its a decongestant (but meant for animals) and very useful in emergencies. I prefer Bisolvon because there are sweetners or sugar in human medecines.

Blimey, i spent the day worrying and when i got home she was absolutely fine!

I can't here a single breath that sounds abnormal! Typical!

I am keeping an eye on her, and will take her to the vet if needed.

But for now she is tucking into Pak Choi with her buddies! x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back