Cheap hide/toy ideas

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I’ve recently spent nearly £400 on changing/renovating my boys living space.
Due to this I now have two hutches and two runs (the runs alone come to about the size of a 6x6 C&C), to furnish and make interesting.

I don’t really have that much to spare for loads of hides and toys right now so was wondering if anyone could suggest anything. They have a couple cardboard things but I just don’t have enough cardboard to make a good amount.

Thanks!

Depending on your budget (I know you've already spent a lot), the large wooden bendy bridges are relatively cheap and seem to last forever. My pigs always loved them.
Have you checked second hand websites to see if there are any free or cheap hides? Obviously you would have to be able to sanitise them, but it's an option.
The good ol' pile of hay always works a treat too. :)

Edit: cardboard tubes are great too, but get a bit mucky.

Edit#2: Lots of supermarkets have free cardboard boxes available- literally just go in and ask, particularly in the alcohol department.

I pick up a cardboard box every time I go shopping, my neighbour does a lot of on line shopping and saves small boxes for me. I second the children's stools, I bought 6 at the start of the summer for the outside runs, as they've hardly been out this year they have been loving them in the indoor cages. These are brilliant as they can be washed with F10, I got them on ebay, I think they worked out at £4 each. I've also bought old step stools from car boot sales for 50p -£1. One of my RB piggies loved a sheet of scrunched up newspaper to roll around and rip up. My present foster piggy has a newspaper in his cage which he has pulled into individual sheets and made tunnels with, he's having great fun burrowing under it and moving it around. He's pulled one sheet across the door of his house so we can't see him. The best toy is a big pile of hay to burrow in.

I like plastic dog beds, the traditional basket style. With dogs you're meant to put blankets and/or pillows in, but they're wipe clean. For pigs I turn them upside down and it's a big multi-pig igloo hide with a wide door. They're not very popular as pet beds nowadays, so are often on FB marketplace for £0-20 depending on size. I use them in my run as they're really solidly heavy so don't blow over, which means a fabulous dry hide for when the pigs still want to be in the fresh air. Some of the more modern ones do have holes in the base (so the roof for my purpose) but on the cheap a bit of duct tape over the top.

I stuff toilet paper or paper towel rolls with hay. :) They love trying to get the hay out & they also chew them!

Back