Chasing out of hides and all over the cage constantly

MERV_CUFC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I got 2 female guinea pigs which are 8-9 weeks old 4 days ago, we have 2 of everything (hide, food bowl, water bowl) and they are in a 120cm cage. My concern is that one constantly chases the other one out of both hides and the other one does alot of high pitch squealing. The hides are placed besides each other. We also have a large cage run which we put them both in for a hour or so each day, but again one chases the other constantly. I have tried researching but feel that it isn't getting any better? Is there something I am doing wrong?

That’s all part of normal dominance behaviour. When guinea pigs move to new ‘territory’ they have to re-establish their hierarchy. The one chasing is just establishing that she’s top pig. The other is squealing to let her know she understands. Re-establishment can take two weeks to settle down. The top pig has the choice of hides etc. You also need to respect that hierarchy and always deal with the top pig first.

I would also let them settle in that first week before you start putting them in a run. Have a read of the guides on sows below.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

So i should leave them in the cage together for a week starting from now? Will they not be easily bored? Sorry about all the questions

Don't worry about lots of questions, we're here to help all piggy slaves and their furry masters!

Piggies won't get bored, providing they have company, food, hidies and lots of hay at all times. Hopefully they will sort out their hierarchy soon and things will settle down, but unless they start serious fighting, you just have to leave them to it, the process can't be hurried up.

:agr: as said above the chasing and squealing are signs of dominance and submission. I would let them have a few days to sort out their hierarchy and then start putting them in their run again. You will most likely see the same behaviour in the run. Top pig just needs to be sure that the underpig has got the message. It sounds worse to us humans than it does to the piggies.

Agree with the advice above. But make sure that the piggy that is being chase all the time still manages to drink and eat, and is able to sleep or have time out with the commotion. There are instances that a piggy can get bullied and you have to think about a plan b. Hopefully yours are just a case of figuring out dominance and submission. Hope they settle soon! 👍

Back