Chasing Each Other - Playing or Fighting?

• Thread starter Thread starter guineafriend
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guineafriend

I know my Guinea pigs have got to work out who is the boss, I just worry that they are my first ones and I have 2 Boars.

They are permanently making that grrr / purring / growling / warning noise towards each other. Yesterday Scampy was chasing Treacle, not letting him in the house etc, then once he got in Treacle was chasing Scampy around the cage. If they were playing then it was cute, like Guinea pig Tig, I just don’t want it to be the beginning of them both trying to be the more dominant.
:police:

Mmmm, not playing by the sounds of things but sorting out who is boss pig :D How old are your boars, were they bonded when you got them or did you get them separately and put them together?

Thanks for the reply Lavender, they are both 14(ish) weeks old from the same litter. Any advice?

I would leave them to it but do keep a close eye. Rumbling, mounting and some chasing are signs that they are sorting out who is going to be boss pig. At 14 weeks, they are entering guinea pig teenage years and can get stroppy! Either one of two things should happen: They will sort it out and one will be boss pig and the other will be happy with that and all will be fine OR they cant sort it out and will have to be separated. Signs to watch for are if they square up to eachother and rear their heads combined with teeth chattering. This means they are getting ready to fight and boars will injure eachother.
You can help to reduce the likelyhood of this happening by making sure they have 2 of everything, bowls, drinking bottles, hidey houses and as much space as possible so they can get away from eachother.
When you are handling them, just give them a check over to make sure one or other has not been injured/bitten while you are not there.
There is a fab website called barmy4boars which has great advice about boars and their relationship. Good luck O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back