Chartwell hutch

machuandpicchumummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We've decided to upgrade the boys from the Pets at Home Bluebell XL to the 6ft Chartwell Double Hutch. Do the Chartwell hutches come flat packed for self assembly? Can't see any information on this on the site we bought it from. As their hutch is inside a walk in run to protect from weather, we need to build it inside there as wouldn't be able to get it in the door if we built it outside the run.

The main reason we are replacing the hutch is that the floor was starting to get a bit horrible from the pee. Do you know if there is anything we can do/apply to the floor of the Chartwell to stop this degradation? Something to stop the pee soaking into the wood maybe, not sure if any of the paints etc are pet safe

The main reason we are replacing the hutch is that the floor was starting to get a bit horrible from the pee. Do you know if there is anything we can do/apply to the floor of the Chartwell to stop this degradation? Something to stop the pee soaking into the wood maybe, not sure if any of the paints etc are pet safe
Best thing is to use an off cut of Lino on the floor of the hutch. You can cut to size and remove for cleaning when needed 😊

I use washable pee pads underneath the fleece in the hutch and before that I used them under the hay when I had outside piggies. I got mine off Amazon. They are quite expensive but have lasted well. I wash them at least once a week at 60 degrees and have cut them to fit my hutch with no lack in performance. I have had them for around 3 years now. I've not had any problem with piggy wee rotting the hutch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetfleece-Inconti-Pet-Absorbent-Kitten-Training/dp/B072KQSQT3/ref=sr_1_30?crid=2WVBCAFI6B4SI&keywords=inconti-pet+washable+incontinence+mat+for+dogs+80+x+80&qid=1691496074&sprefix=inconti-pet+washable+incontinence+mat+for+dogs+80+x+80,aps,79&sr=8-30

Do you stick it down with anything or just place it on top of the floor? Where did you find your off cuts? 😄
No don’t stick it down, just cut it to fit with a little lip going up the sides. You can order small amounts on line or otherwise carpet shops or B&q have offcuts 😊

Back